• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unsatisfactory care repair leading to new faults

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsatisfactory care repair leading to new faults

Hi all, first post for a few years and looking for some advice on a repair we had done to the car, which wasn't completed properly and has led to further repairs needed.

Situation: Part replaced on the vehicle, quoted £350 for the job, bill came to £470 which we weren't expecting. Next time we started the car the engine light came on and went into limp mode. Mechanic was away but suggested taking it to the garage where he worked sometimes. They identified a couple of issues, parts of the engine had not been put back together correctly, eg. a plug had been missed off, which they say may have contributed to the engine light coming on and the DPF fault identified. The garage fixed the issue.

A few days later the engine light comes on again, back to the garage. This time something to do with air inlet, something was loose, again linked to the initial work carried out by the mechanic.

We informed the mechanic we wouldn't be paying the full bill as we have had to pay the garage to repair his cock ups. From £350 quote the total expenditure is now £900. We have paid the garage for their work fixing the issues, but have withheld payment so far from mechanic who messed up.

Today we have been chased by the mechanic, he is claiming the faults identified by the garage weren't linked to his dodgy work.....this is despite the garage informing us they were. My wife has spent around 3 hours back and forth with the garage, taking the car in etc, plus I have also incurred around 2 hours doing the same. We feel our time is chargeable too so have advised the mechanic we will only pay for the part and none of the labour due to the additional problems we've had due to the fact his work wasn't carried out with due care and attention and he was negligent in his work.

Looking for some advice on whether people think that approach is ok? My other thought is that we invoice him for our time (my wife is self employed so has chargeable time)?

Is there anything else we should be considering or do differently?

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

My title should obviously say Car rather than Care, but didn't know how to correct it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X