• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Enforce judgement to recover money owed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforce judgement to recover money owed

In brief: I submitted a case against an airline and got a judgement against them (basically, they have cancelled my flight during the pandemic last year and never refunded me the cost of the ticket), but only received the cost of the booking, not the cost of bringing the case against them.

So, how do I enforce that judgement and get the court costs (which were awarded to me as part of the judgement)? Do I have to fill in N323 and let the court deal with it or do I engage a recovery agency? if N323 will do, what would be the application fee for that (if any) and, most importantly, do I get this back? Thanks.
    Tags: None

Any help with this? Anyone?

Comment

Just a suggestion - get in touch with high court enforcement company and see if it is suitable to be sent up to the High Court. They will do this and collect the debt (with the costs being paid by the debtor). I did this a few years ago with success but do not know if any rules have changed since then. The company will advise you

Comment

Thanks IslandGirl. I just looked at high court enforcement companies (google helps!), but they all seem to be working on the same principle - they can take control (what's termed as "warrant of control") and transfer proceedings to the high court only if the money owed is more than £600, which is not the case here.

I found a few details here: https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...rce-a-judgment

The above link was the basis for my initial post, but wanted to see whether I definitely need to submit an application (N323) and pay the relevant fee, which I wasn't sure whether I am going to get back, hence the initial post/question.

So, any help with that? Anyone?

Comment

ah ok well it was worth a shot!

Comment

R0b Can you look and advise, many thanks.

Comment

Use Form N323 plus relevant fee £83 recoverable from debtor.
              Court fees here: https://assets.publishing.service.go...0_web_0921.pdf

If judgment obtained through MCOL you can do it online

Comment

Thanks everyone. Yes, I think I've submitted this via the Business Center, but not online (using normal mail) and got the judgement via them, so I guess I can submit the form through them again.

Does the form have to be submitted to the same place from where the judgement was originally obtained or could it be any county court? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by gio70 View Post
                  Thanks everyone. Yes, I think I've submitted this via the Business Center, but not online (using normal mail) and got the judgement via them, so I guess I can submit the form through them again.

Does the form have to be submitted to the same place from where the judgement was originally obtained or could it be any county court? Thanks again.
                  Same County Court that's where the case file would be kept.

Comment

Noted, thanks. Practical question: The N323 form has the following boxes:
                    1. (A) Balance due at date of this request
                    2. (B) Amount for which warrant to issue
                    3. Issue fee

I take it the first one is the amount still owed (£50). What I am not sure of is what should I put in the other two boxes?
                    or something else?

Thanks.

Comment

Noted, thanks. Practical question: The N323 form has the following boxes:
                      1. (A) Balance due at date of this request
                      2. (B) Amount for which warrant to issue
                      3. Issue fee

I take it the first one is the amount still owed (£50). What I am not sure of is what should I put in the other two boxes?
                      or something else?

Thanks.
                      des8 Can you take a look and advise please.

Comment

A)Balance due £50

B)Amount of warrant £50
                        issue fee.................83
                        legal reps costs.......0
                        land registry............0
                        TOTAL .................... 133

Comment

Perfect, thanks Des, much appreciated.

Comment

"Interesting" developments: I submitted the N323 form to the court, then got a response from them, acknowledging that it has been actioned.

Last Friday, I've got a letter from the airline enclosing a cheque for £50. This is the place to mention that this is the 3rd such cheque I receive from them - the previous two were bounced by their own bank for missing mandate (signature not authorised) - a fact that I have made them aware of on numerous occasions.

The signature on the latest cheque is exactly the same as the previous two (I have scanned copies of these), so I am guessing if I present it to my bank, the outcome will be exactly the same - it will be bounced due to signature not authorised.

Besides, I was expecting the cheque to be for £133 (covering the £50 owed, plus £83 I paid to get this application).

What then?

Submit another N323 that includes the £133 already owed, plus another £83 for the new application? We could be playing this game for years on end!

Comment

"Interesting" developments: I submitted the N323 form to the court, then got a response from them, acknowledging that it has been actioned.

Last Friday, I've got a letter from the airline enclosing a cheque for £50. This is the place to mention that this is the 3rd such cheque I receive from them - the previous two were bounced by their own bank for missing mandate (signature not authorised) - a fact that I have made them aware of on numerous occasions.

The signature on the latest cheque is exactly the same as the previous two (I have scanned copies of these), so I am guessing if I present it to my bank, the outcome will be exactly the same - it will be bounced due to signature not authorised.

Besides, I was expecting the cheque to be for £133 (covering the £50 owed, plus £83 I paid to get this application).

What then?

Submit another N323 that includes the £133 already owed, plus another £83 for the new application? We could be playing this game for years on end!
                              Do they incur charges for 'bounced cheques'? So if that happens enough times, it becomes 'uneconomical' for them to continue doing that. It might be worth contacting their bank to find out how much it costs them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X