• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Faulty car, what to do next?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty car, what to do next?

So December 21st 2020 we purchased a used car for £6000, we arranged to go back in the new year for a cam belt change and some dents removed. We was warned when purchasing that the engine management light may come on due to some work it had done recently.
    On the way home the light did infact come on, so we rang the garage and arranged for them to repair when they do the cam belt and dents. Due to covid and delays with there dent guy we ended up waiting till April for the work to be done.
    A week later the engine management light came back on, we notified the garage and they arranged for a local garage to take a look, they determined that the egr valve needed replacing and as a good will gesture will do it them self for cost price.
    Now we have owned the car for 6 months, there has been engine problems from day one and they want us to now pay towards repairs which we think is totally unreasonable.
    We have spoken to trading standard who have advised us to serve them 14 days notice to fix the car so we’ve done that, they are still refusing to repair the vehicle. Now when the 14 days are up would I be within my rights to repair the car at a local garage and then take them to court for the cost of this plus any interest occurred and lost of earnings?

idealy we want to keep the car but if needs to be returned for a full refund then we will.

thank you in advance for any advice it’s greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hi Deconn

What you need to do is give them an opportunity to fix all the faults, before you get some other firm to do the work.
    I know you've done this, but was it done verbally? if so the best thing to do is send them a letter, highlight all the faults (include a brief summary regarding the background), give them a time limit for fixing the faults, ask for them to response in writing, then proceed from there. Send it to them Recorded Delivery.

Amend the template - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...tters/letters/

Comment

This was what I sent to them on the 1st of June.

Complaint about faulty goods

I bought 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan from you on 21/12/2020. I paid ££5995.

I now find the goods have the following fault:

Bought car in December, on the way home the engine management light come on. Due to covid couldn’t take the car back till April 2021. Car was in for work over 5 days. Then a week later the engine management light has come back on. Car was inspected at garage and quoted £900 to repair..

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 goods you supply must be fit for purpose. As there was a problem with the goods when I bought them, I request that you repair the goods at no cost to me.

Please respond within 14 days of receiving this letter.

Yours sincerely

Comment

Originally posted by Deconn View Post
        This was what I sent to them on the 1st of June.

Complaint about faulty goods

I bought 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan from you on 21/12/2020. I paid ££5995.

I now find the goods have the following fault:

Bought car in December, on the way home the engine management light come on. Due to covid couldn’t take the car back till April 2021. Car was in for work over 5 days. Then a week later the engine management light has come back on. Car was inspected at garage and quoted £900 to repair..

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 goods you supply must be fit for purpose. As there was a problem with the goods when I bought them, I request that you repair the goods at no cost to me.

Please respond within 14 days of receiving this letter.

Yours sincerely

That's fine, I would of stuck a few more details in, like receipt number, how you paid for it, date that it was in for repair etc. By the way how did you pay for it?

Comment

£4000 cash £2000 finance. Do you think after the 14 days I could take them to court for the repair costs? Thank you.

Comment

£4000 cash £2000 finance. Do you think after the 14 days I could take them to court for the repair costs? Thank you.
            Before you do anything, read the terms of the Finance agreement regards to faults / repairs, then contact the Finance Company, explain what's happened. I can't remember if you had to pay the full purchase price on Finance or if a partial payment counted.

Have read - https://www.missoldcarfinance.org/fa...ht-on-finance/

I think the garage are saying, they warned you about the fault, but if they said they would fix it, then you have a good case. Did they note the fault on the receipt? See how you get on with the Fiance company first. Get them to confirm there response in writing to you.

Send / email the Finance Company - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...hire-purchase/
            Last edited by echat11; 5th June 2021, 16:36:PM.

Comment

No fault noted on the receipt, I’m actually waiting for the finance company to get in touch. Will get back to you soon as I have a response. Thank you.

Comment

Spoke with the finance company there investigating it and going to speak to the dealer to see if anything can be done.

Comment

Spoke with the finance company there investigating it and going to speak to the dealer to see if anything can be done.
                  That's good news, you need to be firm, make sure they aren't trying to 'brush you off'. Try to keep all correspondence via email.

Comment

Update:- Finance company are now sending someone out to inspect/investigate the car to see what’s wrong and determine if we bought it with the fault.

Comment

Make sure he / she is meticulous and not there just to 'rubber stamp' the dealership / finance company's position. But it is 'good news'.

Comment

So he came out and checked the car, took it for a test drive and scanned it. No faults found as it hasn’t happened since the garage wiped them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X