• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car dealer threatening action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car dealer threatening action

Looking for some advice on our rights re. a traded in car.

We traded in a 2012 Jeep Compass on Saturday 6th March. We had had some problems with it starting in the cold weather but had been fine recently and salesman took it for a test drive and said nothing.

I noticed the Jeep was then on auto trader from at least 18th March, with photos showing it in a showroom and claiming it has an MOT up until March 2022.

Today my husband received a very angry phone call from the owner of the car garage (more than 3 weeks since we sold the car) accusing us of selling the car to him, knowing it had a massive oil leak. He said it was the worst oil leak he had ever seen! There had been absolutely no sign of this when we sold it! The car was also always parked on our driveway and we would have seen any oil leaking out on the stones.

He is threatening to take us to court and claim back for expenses.

Surely if this has happened in the three weeks since we sold the car, we cannot be held liable? Also, it has been advertised on auto trader in their garage saying it is in great condition etc.

Any advice on how to deal with this m, or what our rights are, would be gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Based on what you've said, tough luck to the dealer.

The starting point would be caveat emptor i.e. buyer beware. The onus is on the dealer to take a good look at the car and ensure it is to his satisfaction. There's also the point he is a dealer in the car industry and therefore considered a professional, so it would be expected that he has a greater understanding/knowledge than the ordinary person - I would have expected him to thoroughly check the car.

Would also suggest you grab a screenshot of the Autotrader advert as that would be evidence contradicting his allegations should he decide to pursue you to court.

Unless you've omitted something important, it sounds like he has a weak claim and is trying to scare you.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I sold an old Land Rover to a dealer and was completely honest about condition. When it was picked up the car was examined and I got the person to sign that it was sold as seen. Couple of days later a similar angry call to the one described claiming that there were things wrong and that I should refund part of the price paid. Lots of court threats. I told him to go ahead and I would be happy to see him there. I heard nothing more...the car was on his site described in glowing terms a day or so later (priced at higher that the price he had paid me) and removed very soon after presumably sold. I think this was something the dealer probably did every time - if he could get a few grand back then it was worth a try for him.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X