• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gold Ring Sold to Pawnbrokers in Error?:-

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Ring Sold to Pawnbrokers in Error?:-

Today, 14:02:PM
    I asked my son to take a ring to local Pawnbroker/ Jewellers to 'pawn' (pledge?); as I was self-isolating. Today, I gave him the money to redeem for me,
    When he attended the 'Outlet' they told him, he could not redeem. as they had bought it outright.
    He had not realised this & assumed as it was a 'pawnbrokers' he had pawned it? If I had wanted to sell it, I could have got a lot more for it, as has diamonds.
    Now, desperate to establish if I have any rights in buying item back? They certainly had not made this clear to my son and he not familiar with such things.
    Any advice much appreciated, as item much loved & wanted back!!!
    thank you so much in advance.
    Tags: None

IMO your best course of action is to go to the trader yourself and see if you can't persuade them yourself.

Your son was acting as your agent and had no authority to sell the ring, and therefor the trader will not have good title to the ring.
    If he had been a mercantile agent the position would have been different
    Points to consider will be your son's age, what steps did the trader take to ascertain your son owned the ring or had authority to sell it.
    (Assuming he is young I doubt many traders see a young man flogging a diamond ring.)
    What sort of receipt was he given?
    Was the price paid a fair price for a trader to pay?

Good luck

Comment

Thank you for your response. I shall take your advice and speak to the trader myself and try explain etc? However, my son is not that young - he is 23 and although I say, Diamond Ring - it is only 'diamond chips etc' The price paid/ received, had been in line with what I may have expected as a 'pledge' certainly not as a sale/ purchase. My son would have had to show relevant ID for verification.
      I had hoped there may have been something I could have referred to in the Consumer Credit or Sale of Goods Act - but seems my only hope may be, in convincing the trader to 'do the right thing/ under the circumstances' but doesn't give me much to work with?
      Anyway, thanks again for responding, at least I know where I stand now

Comment

I would still suggest the trader should have asked for proof of ownership, not just ID.
        Unusual for a young man to sell a diamond ring, no?

As an agent your son did not have authority to sell the ring, and so the trader does not obtain good title to it
        If the trader doesn't co operate I can't say whether or not it is worthwhile taking the matter further as that will depend on the emotional and monetary value of the item balanced against the chances of success and the stress involved

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X