• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dog breeder blocking kennel club registration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog breeder blocking kennel club registration

Afternoon Beagles,

I have a dog-related question I would like to pre-legal advice on. I purchased a dog from a breeder back in 2016. He was sold as kennel club registered (which he was) but other than meeting him at the breeder's house we were not given any real information. He is perfectly healthy, and she is a very food breeder (he came from her personal bitch who is beautiful and very healthy!). In 2018 we purchased another Frenchie, a bitch this time, with the intention of letting them have a litter of puppies ourselves. Both dogs need to be KC registered in order to be able to register your litter as kennel club.

in 2019 they had a puppy who was very healthy and lovely, and we went to register him with the KC. When I got to the registration stage it appeared that the breeder had put a block on me being able to breed with the boy we bought from her. She never mentioned this in the meeting or in the advert.

I went to her as soon as i saw and requested she lift the block but she ignored this request. We let it go for a few months but the new owners have been chasing as they would like him to be registered so that they can get the benefits. I again chased her and she has come back to me with the following response;

"Hi, I’m sorry but this block was placed to stop any breeding happening as I wanted them to be pets only. I realise he is your baby and I know you only have his best interest at heart but the point is that going forward I can’t guarantee his offspring after much"

As much as I understand her (somewhat hypocritical) stance, I was not made aware of this at any point during the purchase, and this would have impacted our decision.

Having gone back and forth with her several times she appears unwilling to budge on this, and I feel my only obvious next step is to get a court to overturn her decision.

Any help, support or thoughts welcome!!!

Thank you

OJ
    Tags: None

This is very common & designed in part to prevent indiscriminate breeding usually to prevent puppy farming or inherent health reasons. It is something you should have approached the breeder about before embarking on this route, although a while since I have had anything to do with this it used to appear on the KC Reg of the dog(s) concerned. If the breeder refuses to remove the restriction then there is not much you can do.

Comment

There is also the issue of the new owners especially if the puppy was sold to them with an express promise that the dog would be KC registered.

Comment

Unfortunately, KC registering a suitable puppy can sometimes mean that the breeder is only interested in maximizing profits. The best way to determine if a dog is purebred is by far to check the pedigree, also known as your puppy's family tree. However, if you don't have any documentation or health/DNA details, you can always talk to your veterinarian or have a professional DNA test done. To do this, you can take your dog to Service Dog Registration, where your dog will be registered, checked for all vaccinations, etc., and treated if necessary.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X