• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vehicle repair misdiagnosed, garage unresponsive, cost £600

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle repair misdiagnosed, garage unresponsive, cost £600

Hi All
    My son had a problem with his van, was losing coolant, and asked a local garage to diagnose the problem. They said it would cost £50 to diagnose and he accepted that quote. They called him to say that a piece of pipe had fallen off with crystals in it (I might have this bit wrong but along these lines), proving it was the cooler itself that was the problem, and that it was not therefore necessary to complete a full diagnosis, and that he needed a brand new EGR Cooler installed. He trusted their judgement on this and agreed they could undertake the work, for a cost of £600, being £400 for parts and £200 for labour. He paid immediately via BACS. He has an invoice. The company is not limited. The work was done on 3rd August.

The fault remains with his van. He is still losing coolant, the problem has not been resolved and nor has it improved in any way. This suggests that the fault was not with the cooler itself, and that they misdiagnosed the problem. He made garage aware of this shortly after the work had been done and said he would return with his van when he had time (he uses it every day for work and has been working away). On Tuesday 25th August, he gave garage the keys to his van, parked it on the road by their garage, and asked them to inspect and investigate again, saying he wanted to resolve situation amicably. He heard nothing and collected his van on 29th August (he went away for a short break). His van had not been moved from where he had parked it.

My questions, please:

1) Is the garage in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, or the Sale of Goods & Services Act? I've got templates from Which and CAB, which I can use to do a letter for him to them.

2) Is he entitled to a full refund? They did show him a part, which could have been a new cooler, so he thinks that did fit that, but that wasn't the problem.

3) What is the best way for him to proceed

As ever, very many thanks to this site and all who provide guidance and advice so freely.

Thank you

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X