• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Distance Selling car issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance Selling car issue

Good evening, I have searched through the threads and saw some very good responses from those in the know, a site like this is brilliant for people like myself who seem to have got into some kind of dispute. Thank you all for your relentless advice and care for the wider public

I have just purchased a car at distance from a trader who as far as I can tell only trades via the autotrader website. The ad sounded great (I have a copy). I initially enquired about the vehicle via email to ask about the standard questions, warranty, no trade in discount and the price for delivery as it was some few hundred miles away. After being given a brief phone call from the trader, to ask for my postcode so he could give me a price for delivery, and the quoting me half the cars advertised price, he said I could independently get someone to pick it up for me for a better price than he could give. That wasn't a hard task. When I notified him I could get someone to pick up, he rang me with another couple of issues pertaining to the vehicle, the clutch would occasionally slip and it needed a new rear strut, I asked him why the clutch hadn't been mentioned in the advert as he was insistent that he was recieving a lot of interest in the vehicle that it only did it occasionally and someone else probably wouldn't notice it, and he was being as transparent as he could. Fair enough, a strut isn't too much to sort either, and it helps that some relatives have a garage to sort the clutch issue if it turned out to be worse than he explained. I did ask for a discount to be applied to the price in lieu of the revelation about the clutch but he was hesitant, he then offered to get it repaired at trade cost however the transporter that I would be arranging would be picking the vehicle up on Tuesday and he couldn't get a price until the Monday, we then agreed a slightly lower price (around the cost of a clutch kit) if I took it as it was and carried out the repairs myself.

I asked how much deposit was required and how he would like it paid along with the remainder of the balance when the transporter came to collect. I also asked where the vehicle would be being collected from as couldn't find an address on autotrader for him. I told him that I would do it later on, when I put my son to bed, and later around 8pm recieved a message from him asking if I would still like to pursue with the deposit/sale as he was getting enquiries. I told him I couldn't finalise with the transporter until I had a number for the address he had given me which he then said was a storage unit, and they would be better collecting the car from his home address. I had obviously done all the checks on the registration of the vehicle shown in the advert although it wasn't currently showing a valid mot he assured me it had one and that the plate on the car would be returned to the original ones when delivered. He then gave me the original plates as I was logged into my internet banking and setting up a new contact to pay the deposit. I paid the deposit and then saw the original plate number, and did the diligent checks on that plate. Despite the mot certificate that he sent me via WhatsApp showing the private plates on the car, the information the govt website held on the most recent mot which this trader had done, was under the original plates. It then lead me to 5 advisory notes that at no time the trader mentioned. At this point I was annoyed that he hadn't mentioned it, as 3 of the advisories were for corrosion, although no mention of within prescribed areas I presumed it's a 17 year old car, and it wasn't picked up on the mot previous in 2018 I was hopeful it wasnt too serious and could be sorted out.

I had by this time also paid the deposit for the transporter on shiply, and gave him the details of the trader. Between themselves they arranged he collected the Monday evening (this Monday just past) and he would deliver Tuesday afternoon. I had arranged for the transporter to deliver to my dad's address as I wasn't sure when I would be able to change the details on my insurance etc and get the v5 in my name and tax it...I was prepared to drive it as the mot had passed and get the repairs done for the clutch/strut if they were bad enough to warrant repair soon after buying.

Tuesday comes and I head to my dad's address in time for the transporter arriving however due to torrential rain UK wide the entire day, he is delayed a bit and unfortunately I can't hang around as I have to be elsewhere. I go to see it the next day and I can honestly say despite this being a car i have wanted for a long time, hence the reason I bought at a distance as they are a rare car nowadays, I have never felt so much disappointment. I went though the paperwork before I even had a look at the vehicle and despite the advert saying the timing belt had been done (it's a chain) I couldn't find the receipt. He had put on the invoice the car was sold as spares/renovation and I was happy to accept, I certainly wasn't informed of this at any stage and would certainly have stopped the deal even if it meant losing my deposit with both the trader and the transporter if he had told me. Apon inspection of the car, well the vinyl wrap, needs completely removed and redone, it's falling off everywhere around the wing mirrors/sunroof that doesn't even work, bumpers etc...and it's not even proper wrapped, it's been sprayed with what can only be described as plasti dip paint, and a very shoddy job of it too, it's on the fog lights and front wing indicators and will cost more than the cars worth to put right, it's not even a simple peel off job.

I apologise for the absolute novel, I like to be as thorough as possible. I have advised the trader of the consumer rights 2015 and that I would like a full refund and as I had asked for it within 7 days, according to the motor ombudsman I don't even need to give a reason why, even though there are several .Yes there are issues that I would have put right myself, which I told him when he told me about the clutch and strut.

I advised him I wanted a full refund yesterday which would be 4 days after payment of the balance and 3 days after taking delivery of the car. I told him I wanted all correspondence in writing, he continued to try and call me. I just want to know where I stand and if indeed I can apply these rights to a trader who as far as I'm aware only trades on autotrader.

many thanks for taking the time for reading/responding to this

Tags: None

I have since sought advice elsewhere after spending the last week panicking about my situation.

consumer advice says I will be liable to pay return costs for the vehicle mentioned in my previous post. However I am able to claim this back apparently. To be honest I think if I go ahead with returning the vehicle he will have my money, the car and I'll be even more out of pocket as I don't feel he would refund within the 14 days of return.

Comment

• ostell
      ostell commented
      Editing a comment
      So why don't you continue with your other thread so people know what you are talking about

• yelrahnota
      yelrahnota commented
      Editing a comment
      Perhaps because as nobody has responded to it and I'm just asking about the ability to make a claim for the return charges , I mean I'm not talking about 10-15 pounds to return a car, it is more likey to be somewhere over 4-5 hundred pounds.

Merged threads. OP please stay on this thread from now.

ostell sorry lost your post somewhere along the way
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X