• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cowboy Builder - Reclaiming Money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy Builder - Reclaiming Money

Hi all,

First off, apologies if this is not the right section for this thread. I had a search around and it seemed most appropriate, but please feel free to redirect me if necessary.

I posted a job in the middle of May via myjobquote.co.uk to have a patio built on a section of our garden. I was contacted by three tradesmen who each came round to the house and quoted for the job, and we ended up giving the job to one of the three in the middle of June, paying a £500 deposit. We sourced the patio slabs ourselves, but the builder was sourcing all other materials. The agreement was that the job would be done at the end of that month (June).

Since then, there have been two half days of work to dig out & lay some footings and some materials have been delivered, but that is it. The builder has made numerous promises about getting the work done and deliveries being made to site but has failed on almost everyone single one. Where I have been particularly stupid is before the work started, he asked for the bulk of the rest of money to pay for the materials, hire equipment, etc, which I paid to him in good faith.

It got to the point where I have no confidence in him doing the work in any sort of timely manner and I requested via email last Monday (10th August) he return the money, minus the two half days of work and the cost of the materials. He agreed to do this by the Friday (14th). He failed to do that citing an excuse about online banking problems, and he said he would transfer it on Saturday. Again, he failed to return the money.

I'm now getting no response from him, so want to know what legal action I can take to recoup my money. I'm thinking via the small claims court may be best, but never had to deal with anything like this so hoping for some guidance.

One final kicker, I have subsequently dug further into the company he claims to be trading through (initially I read reviews on myjobquote & trusted that as a source, another mistake!) and it turns out it was dissolved in 2018, so I'm assuming I would need to take him as an individual to court and not the dissolved company. His quote included VAT in it, so I'm guessing he is acting fraudulently on top of everything else!

Any guidance is gratefully welcomed, thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

May i ask what myjobquote have to say

Comment

Very little so far, they are attempting to contact him but my understanding is that all they can really do is ban him from their platform, I don't think can assist in recouping my money.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X