• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Return of money for non-cancelled standing order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of money for non-cancelled standing order

Hi,

Hope someone can help with a bit of general advice.

I was a tenant in a housing association property (in Scotland) and had a standing order set up to pay the rent. I cancelled my tenancy but it seems that I forgot to cancel my standing order. Unfortunately, I didn't notice for approx. 6 months until I had paid approx. £2000.

After about 3 months, the housing association noticed that the rent account had extra funds (although they didn't know they were from me because of the way that standing orders work apparently).
    As a result, they issued a refund of around £1000 to the current tenant who is a friend of mine.

After 6 months, I noticed and contacted them. They have accepted that I have paid £2000 into their account by accident. Their solution is for them to pay me back the portion of the money that I paid that wasn't refunded directly but that the existing tenant should pay me back the money that they refunded to her.

This obviously has consequences - what if she doesn't pay me back? I will be out of pocket for approx. 50% of the money and I'd have to take her to a small claims court, etc. She could also take years to pay back the sum.

The question is - should the association pay me back 100% of the money that was paid to them mistakenly (which they have accepted) and make an arrangement with the current tenant to pay back the refund that they issued or can they force me to pursue my friend?

This is putting a huge strain on my friendship and it seems to me that the housing association's position is designed to ensure that they don't accrue any rent arrears and the problem goes away.

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X