• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insurance - Charged for work not done!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance - Charged for work not done!

We have glazing insurance with British Gas, which we have been paying for several years and now have reason to claim, after a stone flicked up from the lawn mower and shattered the outer pane of one of our patio doors.

Their policy is that they will have the glass repaired and pay up to £500 towards the cost, while we then pay the balance. This all seems straightforward.

I contacted BG last Monday. They said we needed to use a glazers appointed by them and they sent our details to a company called Evander Glazing, who sent someone to do a survey the same day. At this point, all seemed OK and the surveyor seemed happy with what needed to be done

The following day, Evander called and explained that it had been referred to senior management, to decide whether they could do the job, as the patio doors are old and not what they usually deal with, so they were not sure if they would be able to put the doors back together properly

On Friday, Evander called and said they were not prepared to do the job, because they were not confident that they could put the door back together. they said they would inform BG and I would need to call BG for an alternative route

On Monday, I called BG, who said they had not heard back from Evander, so would call them and call me back. I tried to be patient and waited until Wednesday. I called back and they said that they had the survey details from Evander on Tuesday and there was no suggestion that the work would not be done. I told them that Evander told me personally that it would not and they said they would contact them again and call me back

I waited until today (Thursday) and called BG again and they said they had spoken to Evander and confirmed that they would not do the work. BG said that they would not be contacting any other glazers. If we want the window replacing, it was now our responsibility to find a glazer, get a quote, have it authorised by BG and arrange for the work to be done and if done within 28 days of the initial claim being made, they would pay £370 towards it

I pointed out that the policy states they pay £500, but they say they have had to pay £130 to Evander for the survey and that comes off of what they would pay us

My thought is that if they have told us that we must use Evander and Evander decline to do the work, this should not be at our expense and the full £500 should still be paid to us

I am also concerned for my mother, who is vulnerable and cannot use stairs, so sleeps in the room which now has the smashed patio door. I believe there is a security risk and it may even invalidate our home contents insurance, if we were to be burgled

I asked BG for details of their complaints procedure and the girl simply said that it would be logged on their system as a complaint. They do not have somewhere I can contact to escalate the issue

My main question is whether I should be liable for the cost of the survey by their chosen glazer, who will not carry out the work?

Thank you
    Tags: None

I would complain following the policy complaints process

1) policy wording states : "we will pay a maximum of £500 per claim limit, including parts, labour and VAT"
    That does not include the cost of the insurers obtaining survey and quotes from a firm that is not qualified nor able to effect repairs.

2)Their failure has reduced the amount of time left for you to obtain quotes, have them authorised and then have the work completed within the 28 day time limit from first making the claim. That is unfair.

3) their complaints procedure is:
    "We will always aim to do our best, but unfortunately there may be times when things go wrong. If you have a complaint about any part of your Glazing, Locks, Roof and Pest Cover please telephone us on 0800 294 8320* , email us at: complaints@homeassistanceuk.com or write to: Customer Relations Manager Home Assistance UK Ltd Arundel House Amberley Court Whitworth Road Crawley West Sussex RH11 7XL"

Tell them what you want ie a competent firm to come and effect repairs, they to pay £500 towards that claim.
    Failure to agree and you will contact FOS (complaint.info@financial-ombudsman. org.uk)

Comment

Thank you Des
      Actually, before I saw your response, I found the complaints procedure on the policy and did just what you have suggested, though I did not mention what you put in point 1. I will bear that in mind with any response I get

Not sure what good it would do, but I have also sent an email to the underwriters, informing them what has happened and (Perhaps a little speculatively) suggesting we will pursue any costs for further related damage, any burglary and any health costs deemed to be directly related to the wait for this to be resolved. Although I have included this, I have tried to word it nicely and ask for their help

I appreciate your response

Comment

I had a call from customer services. They say they only have one glazer and if they won't do the work, it's down to me to get it sorted (Great to have insurance, eh?) They say that if we get another company who is willing replace the glazing and the insurers agree it in advance, they will pay up to £500

However, if we get someone out and they agree that it can't be done, we should get a quote for new patio doors, broken down and they will pay up to £370 towards the cost of the glass. They will not pay up to £500 if we have to get complete new doors

Comment

I would start making some phone calls . I have done a quick google search, in my area Cambridge, there are a lot of companies offering repair. Do you knw who supplied the wndows , are they still in business? If you know what the profile was then it willbe easier for anyone doing the repair.
          However most glazing section of a double glazed window are held in place by beading usually this can be clipped out withut damage the sealed unit replaced, and the beading clippd in.
          So Google for double glazing repaiers www.tw-ds.co.uk is one found who seem to operate nationally and are members of trade bodies.
          Last edited by seduraed; 17th May 2020, 10:11:AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thank you. The company who put it in (James Clark & Eaton) no longer exist. When the survey was done, the surveyor said it was a simple enough job. He explained it pretty much the same as you say, but I then got a call from the company when eh got back to say that he wasn't sure it could be done. All a little strange!

I have now found that this can be done on the home insurance. We will pay a £200 excess. We are going to get the patio doors replaced completely. The insurance company are happy for us to do so and they will pay what they would have paid for just a repair.

Once this is all done, I will be looking for different insurance for the locks, roof and pests and cancelling the insurance with British Gas

Comment

It is only when you make a claim you will then find out what insurance companies are pleasant to deal with.*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X