• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

TomTom Lifetime Map Updates ripoff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TomTom Lifetime Map Updates ripoff

Hi all
    just had an email off Dave from TomTom stating that my Via130 will no longer receive map updates, Here is the email:
    Hi there,
    We have been trying to contact you about the end of product support for your TomTom VIA 130.

The last compatible map update for your TomTom VIA 130 was released around 09/01/2018, which means your current map might be 26 months old, missing 9 map updates. Therefore, me and my colleagues here highly recommend to no longer use your beloved TomTom VIA 130 and consider replacing your device.

While this may seem like parting with an old friend, we see it as continuing with even more of a driving experience you know and trust. To that, we have a ton of new features inside "the best navigation in the market" and want you to continue with TomTom. So, how about 30% off your next device? Give some thought.

Dave from TomTom.

I bought my TomTom because it came with lifetime maps and now they're telling me because my TomTom is (according to them) outdated and therefore being put out to pasture, I was under the impression that LIFETIME MAP UPDATES meant for the lifetime of the unit albeit 2 years or 20 years not until they decide to scrap it.
    They say it's because the old units don't have the storage capacity to accept the new updates which are in excess of 5Gig for the whole of Europe, I don't have European maps so I won't need to upload 5Gig of data.
    I like the way they end their email with 'GIVE SOME THOUGHT' I'll give it as much thought as they have to all their customers who paid good money for the lifetime maps which is absolutely bugger all..
    Tags: None

If the page at*http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/content/id/9/*is anything to go on, the full stated terms when you were sold the "Lifetime map updates" would have been clear:

Lifetime is the useful life of the device, which means the period of time that TomTom continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. A device will have reached the end of its life when none of these are available any more. The useful life of the smartphone app means the period of time that TomTom continues to support the app with updates.
    That is, they were probably always open that by "lifetime" they meant "as long as we decide" at the time of your purchase. Any complaint you make would have to hinge on a claim that*just*using the word "lifetime" misled you about the rest of the agreement. Although there might be credible-sounding legal arguments that would favour your position, you won't get to seriously test them without incurring costs that well exceed the cost of a sat nav that was launched 5 years before you bought it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X