• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parcel shelf missing in newly leased car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parcel shelf missing in newly leased car

Hi to all.

My daughter returned her leased car on Friday and took out another. It's one of those 4 year PCP lease deals. This car is a 2017 model.
    Whilst transferring her stuff from her old car, she realised the rear parcel shelf was missing.
    She pointed this out to the salesman who said it was common that sometimes they come in without a shelf.
    She told him she wanted one.
    He went to have a look at the other stock they had to swap one, but said none were available.
    Yesterday, Saturday, she rang to ask if they had got her one.
    She was told no, and she would have to buy one on Ebay.
    Surely this can't be right?
    A parcel shelf is an integral part of the car?
    Any advice, please?
    Many thanks.
    Dad
    Tags: None

Did she inspect that exact car at the time when she took out the PCP deal?
    Was it described anywhere in the advertisement that the car will not come with a parcel shelf?

If the answer is no to the above, then she could pay for the cost of the parcel shelf and invoice the finance company the cost of it, but she might want to notify them first because her contract is not with the salesman but the finance co. They might agree to it but if they don't, then that's the only other option except to suck it up, unless she wanted to reject the car completely on that basis then that will be a different kettle of fish.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply.
      She went to the dealer with her old car to swap it. No advertisement, just looked at cars and test drove that one.
      So, start sucking? Pardon my French.
      Thanks,
      Dad

Comment

If she physically inspected and test drove that exact car (not a test one) that she's now got on PCP then I think she might struggle to argue that the finance co. should cover her costs in a parcel shelf.

Only If the advertisement was described as having one could she argue misdescription. She could try and contact the finance co. and plead to their better nature although it might not work given that you only tend to deal with front end customer service advisors, especially if there was no misrepresentation involved.

I think it's probably worth contacting the finance co. in writing anyway because they won't be aware that there was no parcel shelf with the car - they will assume there is one so if she chooses to return it at some point, expect them to charge her for one claiming it to be missing. By giving them notice now she can use that as evidence that one was not supplied at the time the PCP was entered into. Of course, that's assuming she doesn't buy one herself.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you very much Rob for your clear advice. Much appreciated.
          It's still very unfair. Bit like life I suppose.
          Kind regards,
          Dad

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X