• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Accused of fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accused of fraud

My friend has been accused of fraud. She was shopping in an antiques shop with another of our friends. The Police have charged them both with fraud.According to the shop owner she/they had changed the price on a handbag. The cctv,according to the police, shows them fiddling with a price label. According to my friends the only price label on it was for 5. They checked the price at the till. It was confirmed that the price was indeed* 5. But as I mentioned before the cctv sees them removing a label...but not a price label and now the owner has accused them of label tampering so they could purchase it a reduced price. They claim they did not remove a price tag. And that the 5 tag was on there. Any advice here ?
    Tags: None

What are the exact words of the charge?

Comment

Bit bemused by this
      The price tag showed £5, the till price checked @ £5 ..The bag was truly priced @£5*
      Like efpom*I wonder what the charge is as there appears to be nothing other than examining the price label*

Comment

The charge is fraud . According to the police they looked at the cctv ..then exchanged a label. Took off a 25 price tag ...then put on an 5 price tag. The Police claim the cctv shows them taking off a label. So my friends never saw a 25 label. They only saw an 5 price tag. They confirmed at the till the price. Of 5. The shopkeeper confirmed it as 5. This is a small shop ( antiques centre ) in a small town. Price tags are small and hand written.

Comment

The charge sheet must state more than just "fraud".

There is some guidance here (https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/fraud-act-2006) which will give you an idea about the complexity of charging a person with fraud.

Have your friends been interviewed by the police?
          If so was that conducted under caution?
          Were they accompanied by a solicitor?
          Were they told they had the right to legal assistance from a duty solicitor if they did not have their own solicitor?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X