• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Home Insurance Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Insurance Issue

Hi
    Not totally sure if this is the correct forum but a query on home insurance.
    I have for the last 3 years been paying house and contents insurance which I had to setup for myself following the breakdown of my marriage. Prior to the break up this was something my Ex Wife would sort out and pay as I worked away from home a lot.
    I have come to claim for a water leak which has damaged my laminate flooring. Whilst discussing the fact that the flooring had been damaged some 6 or 7 years ago and had been replaced throughout the ground floor to the builder sent to assess the damage just as a means to explain why it went throughout and had not been divided at each room.
    As this was not on an insurance on my name I never reported this to the insurance company when taking out the insurance. They are now seeking to refuse to uphold my claim for not disclosing this. I explained the situation and explained I could not even give them any details of the damage, ie which insurance company, exact date etc. as I no longer know where my ex is or have any means of contacting her.
    I feel that as I took out the original insurance as a new business and did not claim any NCD they are being unfair to reject the claim.
    Is this something that is correct as this would then potentially put lots of divorcee's such as myself at risk of not being covered for insurance they are paying ot for
    Thoughts and advice on this would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Do you know what caused the damage that occurred 6 or 7 years ago?

Do you have a copy of your proposal form (or give us a link to the company providing your insurance) ?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Do you know what caused the damage that occurred 6 or 7 years ago?

Do you have a copy of your proposal form (or give us a link to the company providing your insurance) ?
      The leak last time was due to a split pipe that goes to the washing machine, this time it was a faulty tap which Plumber had to replace so different faults
      I don't have a copy of the proposal form, the company providing is called now4cover.
      TIA

Comment

I see that their standard proposal form requests confirmation that the property has/has not ever suffered flood damage.

I assume you confirmed it had not, (as you possibly thought of flooding as coming from outside eg river or rain. It was not explained clearly that it included burst pipes causing water damage. Difference between a flood and seepage to a layman)

Previously such an answer would have allowed the insurer to void the policy, but currently they are expected to take a more pragmatic approach.

here's a link to the FOS page on misrepresentation and non disclosure: you might wish (after making official complaint to the insurers ) make a complaint to the FOS.

Make much of the lack of clarity on their proposal

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          I see that their standard proposal form requests confirmation that the property has/has not ever suffered flood damage.

I assume you confirmed it had not, (as you possibly thought of flooding as coming from outside eg river or rain. It was not explained clearly that it included burst pipes causing water damage. Difference between a flood and seepage to a layman)

Previously such an answer would have allowed the insurer to void the policy, but currently they are expected to take a more pragmatic approach.

here's a link to the FOS page on misrepresentation and non disclosure: you might wish (after making official complaint to the insurers ) make a complaint to the FOS.

Make much of the lack of clarity on their proposal
          Thank you for this Info
          As you say I thought it meant flooding from outside rather than burst pipes and of course were we new to the house how would we know of and sort of issue as a burst pipe with previous owners

Comment

It's great that you figured out the problem and fixed it! In old houses, such problems often appear since the owners rarely repair such houses. It's good that you paid attention to the problem quickly and managed to fix it yourself so that it could have been much worse. But I recommend you buy insurance covering all kinds of possible repairs in an old house. You should compare townhome insurance from companies in your area and choose the one that, if necessary, will cover all repair costs.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X