• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consumer Rights to cancel over "Bespoke" Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Rights to cancel over "Bespoke" Windows

Hi, I’m hoping someone knowledgable can offer me some advise.

On the 13/6/19 my parents (in their 80’s) ordered some bespoke Windows from a local company.

In the following weeks they were notified of a delay as the companies supplier could not meet the spec that the bespoke doors would be.

On 5th August they were shown a CAD and at this point my parents agreed to pay another £384 to half the cost of the CAD.

On the 19th August the rep from the company showed in my parents home what the final window would look like.

At this point my parents chose to reject the windows as they were no longer going to look like the bespoke windows they had initially wanted when they ordered.

Latest is that the owner of the company is not forthcoming to repay any money which totals approx £2,300 of what would have been £5,000.

I have only just found out about this, the tome of the letter is aggressive and bullying so wanted to be aware of how I stand legally.

Ideally we would like our money back and to find someone else who can deliver what was agreed

Many Thanks for reading or for any help whatsoever

Thanks
    Ian
    Tags: None

Originally posted by BentleyBoy11 View Post
    Hi, I’m hoping someone knowledgable can offer me some advise.

On the 13/6/19 my parents (in their 80’s) ordered some bespoke Windows from a local company.

In the following weeks they were notified of a delay as the companies supplier could not meet the spec that the bespoke doors would be.

On 5th August they were shown a CAD and at this point my parents agreed to pay another £384 to half the cost of the CAD.

On the 19th August the rep from the company showed in my parents home what the final window would look like.

At this point my parents chose to reject the windows as they were no longer going to look like the bespoke windows they had initially wanted when they ordered.

Latest is that the owner of the company is not forthcoming to repay any money which totals approx £2,300 of what would have been £5,000.

I have only just found out about this, the tome of the letter is aggressive and bullying so wanted to be aware of how I stand legally.

Ideally we would like our money back and to find someone else who can deliver what was agreed

Many Thanks for reading or for any help whatsoever

Thanks
    Ian
    Ian,

Very difficult to advise without having all the details. However, it seems to me that if the company has now said it cannot provide the windows your parents wanted, then i fail to see why your parents would have to pay. I do urge caution however as it is difficult to form a firm opinion when there is so much unclear with the case.

IF the company cannot provide what you have paid for there may well be an arguable breach of contract that could entitle your parents to terminate the contract. Again its difficult to give an reasoned view at this stage
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thank-you very much for the reply Phil, that was my limited understanding too.
      I feel they have been unable to provide "bespoke" windows but have tried everything they possibly can to complete the job (not as initially agreed) and when my parents lost confidence in the company they wanted to terminate the contract and find an alternative company.
      Thanks again,
      Ian

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X