• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

TV licence- an enforcement officer's visit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV licence- an enforcement officer's visit

Hello,
    I decided to not pay for TV licence, as I don't watch it at all.
    I unplugged the antenna from my tv and I blocked BBC website on my Internet account, so none in my house can either watch it or download it.
    I didn't register myself at tvlicensing.co.uk/noTV (as someone who don't watch it), as I assume there is no need for them to know that I am the legal occupier of the house now (recent change).
    I received a letter that I can expect a visit from an enforcement officer. They claim they visit 8550 addresses a day on average. They will check if I watch or download BBC.
    My questions are:
    1. Do they have the right to enter my premises without my permission (I don't see any reason to let them in)?
    2. Do they have the right to claim anything just because I have a tv, Internet connection together with a router or an antenna together with a cable on my house (even if I blocked the BBC website and the antenna cable is unplugged)?

Regards
    Tags: None

They don't have the right to enter without your permission.

Altho' not watching BBC you will still need a licence if anyone in the household watches ANY live TV broadcasts (not just BBC) , whether that's on a TV, a PC, a laptop, a smartphone or a tablet. If you are using some sort of time-shifting technology to pause, rewind, fast-forward and record programmes, this feed is still considered to be live and you will need a TV Licence. However, watch on-demand that content an hour or so later and it doesn't fall under this licensing requirement. Likewise, movies and online video do not demand ownership of a TV Licence.

Your query takes me back 50 years when, not having a TV, had a visit from two enforcement agents.
    Had a knockabout conversation on the doorstep which ended with them asking why I had an XYZ aerial affixed to the chimney.
    I shut the door, went into the garden with them, and said "what that? (pointing at aerial) "I thought previous owner had put it there as a bird perch. Goodbye"

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X