• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

John Lewis - Problems after 30 days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Lewis - Problems after 30 days

Hi there,
    The money in this instance is not the issue, it is the principle.

I have been a long time customer of John Lewis, and have seen the quality and levels of customer service at this, my most favourite high street retailer, slowly decrease over the years.

At the end of October 2018, I purchased online a hand towel for my second bathroom. The cost, £10-15.
    If I had used Christy, it would have been around £30, Debenhams £3-4, Ikea £2 and M&S £6 ish.

My second bathroom has been used by no one - I live alone and have not yet had visitors as I am still sprucing my new home up.
    I started on this bathroom just last week and decided to wash the towel so it was fresh and ready to be used.
    I noticed lots of thread missing on the back of the towel which really is not acceptable and not of the sort of quality I expect from John Lewis. Had I have purchased from Ikea/Debenhams, I may have expected it.

I contacted John Lewis to be told, it is past 30 days (I didn't want to return it, I was reporting it was of poor quality), and there was nothing they would do.
    I argued that under the consumer protection act, their good was clearly not fit for purpose as it had been washed once and was not in good state. I also provided photographs.

They said I would have to email a different department, which I duly did to be told again,
    the Consumer Rights Act 2015 stipulates a short term period of 30 days, in which a customer can reject goods that they feel do not meet their requirements and request a refund. Additionally, as the date of purchase for this product is in excess of 6 months, we will not be in a position to offer any repairs or replacements as per the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
    Can someone tell me if this is correct and if there is nothing furthermore I can do?
    I can afford a new towel, and will most certainly not be using John Lewis for my next purchase, but I am really not happy that someone who may have saved and treated themselves would have to quibble with a retailed famed for quality and great customer service who continually keeps stating that it has been more than 30 days since purchase. They went on to say it has no guarantee.
    It has been more than six months, however, I made it clear to the retailer, that the product has not been used and washed just once which in my opinion, is pretty good evidence that the item is faulty and not of good enough quality.

I would be grateful to know your thoughts.
    Tags: None

The principle is that you actually have 6 YEARS in which to bring a claim for breach of contract by supplying unsatisfactory goods.
    Consumer Rights Act 2015: if rejecting a) within first thirty days consumer has to show goods were unsatisfactory, b)within the next five months it is deemed the goods were unsatisfactory at time of purchase.
    The next five and half years right to take legal action comes from the Limitation Act 1980, but consumer would have to show goods were unsatisfactory.

As you indicate the value of the item is so low that it is not worth the cost or stress of taking court action!

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      The principle is that you actually have 6 YEARS in which to bring a claim for breach of contract by supplying unsatisfactory goods.
      Consumer Rights Act 2015: if rejecting a) within first thirty days consumer has to show goods were unsatisfactory, b)within the next five months it is deemed the goods were unsatisfactory at time of purchase.
      The next five and half years right to take legal action comes from the Limitation Act 1980, but consumer would have to show goods were unsatisfactory.

As you indicate the value of the item is so low that it is not worth the cost or stress of taking court action!
      Thank you very much for the clarification.
      I have replied to them stating some of the facts in your message. I have told them my patience is wearing thin and asked for a replacement. If I get one, I will give it to the local charity shop.

Thanks again.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X