• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DIY electrics ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY electrics ?

We need to do a bit of rewiring ( moving light switch, moving electric points/oven etc) and perfectly happy and capable of doing it ourselves. Can we do that and will an electrician be able to just come in and check it for part p certificate or do we have to get an electrician to do it all ? Do we need a certificate ? ( won't be selling for st least 6 years ).
    Be easier to do it ourselves as we're working on the house in fits and starts when finances allow and having an electrician in to do it will mean doing it all at once really.

Not sure on the actual, rather than perceived, rules, if anyone knows ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

swiss_toni will be able to tell you I'd say.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Is it just "maintenance"? I think that is permitted. I do know you can do it yerself then get inspection. Problem may arise if you have old colours and have to buy new colour cable. (I have a reel of "old" colours ).

Over the years ive rewired my house, improving on the previous botch professional rewire. Just had a new consumer unit fitted (too old and creaky now to do it myself) and full inspection and it passed

Comment

Part P has been relaxed and now only covers (this is a rough guide);

Bathrooms
        Consumer Units (fuseboards)
        and thus completely new circuits
        modification to ring main, e.g. extension of a circuit

(Kitchens and Outdoors were the major that were removed from needing to be Part P a few years ago.)

In addition, most electricians will be unwilling to certify DIY work unless they can inspect progress every step of the way (e.g. wire placement, termination, testing of previous before changes, etc...) at least if they are any good, as they shouldn't be approving work they haven't seen. Don't confuse that with an ECIR where the entire installation is assessed and deemed Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory, and may or may not comprise DIY work, this is what you would need at sale time so you should be fine re. that.

What you've proposed sounds outside of Part P; but I could only really recommend DIYing it if the person has, or can borrow, an earth loop impedance tester to *prove* (to themselves!) that the work they have just done is safe in a measurable way.

Is the oven on a separate circuit? That would be the one that needs the most care and attention, its carrying a lot of current and the biggest mistake I see most DIYers doing is poor and or/loose termination of cables and thats where resistance = heat.

Hope this helps! Feel free if you want to elaborate on what needs doing, but it all sounds outside of Part P as I say.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X