• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fit For Purpose? - Used Car - stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fit For Purpose? - Used Car - stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Hi everyone

I bought a used car for £1,650 on 1st June from a used car dealer. When I was driving it home (directly after picking up car) it started to constantly stall on me on low revs, must have stalled about 40 times in 20 minutes as I was driving through a town in rush hour. It also wouldn't sit in idle.
    I phoned the dealer and he told me to take it to a local garage he uses. They looked at it and put new fuel filter in. They also said that it could be because it's a Diesel and low on fuel, less than a quarter of a tank, so they also put £20 of fuel in for testing. 5 days later and fuel is low again and it does exactly the same thing.
    Garage says not much they can do as it's they type of engine it is and where the vacuum is located, it's picking up all the debris in the bottom of the tank when the fuel is low. They told me to make sure I keep more than a quarter of a tank of fuel at all times.
    At this point, I am not happy with this and don't want to keep it. Mainly because of the safety aspect, crossing a roundabout in low revs and I stall, another car coming round the roundabout could crash into me. However, the dealer is saying there's nothing wrong with the car I was too low on fuel. The garage won't corroborate what I'm saying because when they put £20 of fuel in it it worked fine.

Dealer is stalling on me about me returning the car and a refund. I haven't driven the car for nearly 2 weeks as I had a 14 day cooling off period with my insurance so I needed to make a call, so I cancelled my insurance.

I part paid for the car on my credit card. So I'm wondering about the Section 75 thing, but I'm worried they'll look into it and the dealer will just say 'there's nothing wrong with the car, she just ran out of fuel' and as the garage isn't corroborating me, the credit card company will just take back the money after the investigation. I don't know how this works?

What can I do? It's been 3 weeks now, and I only drove the car for a few days in this period and I really need to get a new car now.

Sooooo...

Do you think the Section 75 thing would work?

If the dealer offers to pay and try to fix the car again, do I have to accept it? Or can I just refuse and say I want a refund?

Thank you so much for your help

Kate
    Tags: None

Hi
    Is this a Fiat?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Hi
      Is this a Fiat?
      No, Peugeot...

Comment

Originally posted by pinkclouds View Post
        Hi everyone

I bought a used car for £1,650 on 1st June from a used car dealer. When I was driving it home (directly after picking up car) it started to constantly stall on me on low revs, must have stalled about 40 times in 20 minutes as I was driving through a town in rush hour. It also wouldn't sit in idle.
        I phoned the dealer and he told me to take it to a local garage he uses. They looked at it and put new fuel filter in. They also said that it could be because it's a Diesel and low on fuel, less than a quarter of a tank, so they also put £20 of fuel in for testing. 5 days later and fuel is low again and it does exactly the same thing.
        Garage says not much they can do as it's they type of engine it is and where the vacuum is located, it's picking up all the debris in the bottom of the tank when the fuel is low. They told me to make sure I keep more than a quarter of a tank of fuel at all times.
        At this point, I am not happy with this and don't want to keep it. Mainly because of the safety aspect, crossing a roundabout in low revs and I stall, another car coming round the roundabout could crash into me. However, the dealer is saying there's nothing wrong with the car I was too low on fuel. The garage won't corroborate what I'm saying because when they put £20 of fuel in it it worked fine.

Dealer is stalling on me about me returning the car and a refund. I haven't driven the car for nearly 2 weeks as I had a 14 day cooling off period with my insurance so I needed to make a call, so I cancelled my insurance.

I part paid for the car on my credit card. So I'm wondering about the Section 75 thing, but I'm worried they'll look into it and the dealer will just say 'there's nothing wrong with the car, she just ran out of fuel' and as the garage isn't corroborating me, the credit card company will just take back the money after the investigation. I don't know how this works?

What can I do? It's been 3 weeks now, and I only drove the car for a few days in this period and I really need to get a new car now.

Sooooo...

Do you think the Section 75 thing would work?

If the dealer offers to pay and try to fix the car again, do I have to accept it? Or can I just refuse and say I want a refund?

Thank you so much for your help

Kate
        why dont you rely on your short term right to reject the goods and return them to the dealer?
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

why dont you rely on your short term right to reject the goods and return them to the dealer?
          Thank you. How does that work then? I think he's getting advice on this issue.

Comment

I asked about Fiats as some diesel models have a cutout system which operates when fuel is low.
            A dented fuel tank &/or faulty fuel gauge and it looks like a problem.

I suspect something similar with your Peugeot as you indicate it is fine if the tank is kept topped up.
            Have you measured how much fuel is actually in the tank when it reads a quarter full?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X