• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice On Used Car Faults & Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice On Used Car Faults & Issues

New user and first time poster so hoping someone can point me in the right direction here or perhaps give some advice on options here.

So a small bit of backstory to get this in context (as my ongoing notes of issues and customer service span several pages)

Purchased a used car direct from official dealership just over 4 months ago. Low mileage at only 49 miles when a transfer was requested from one dealership to my local one, 249 when it got to me (yep they drove it). Test driven with no noticeable noises or issues and purchased on finance. After my first 100 miles engine management light came on, they had it in the dealership for 2 days as a possible CAT failure, before saying on collection that only a PCM update/re-config was needed. Another 100 miles later, light back on, this time over 10 days in the shop for what I was now told was a CAT failure and replacement (we are at less than 500 miles here).

Car back and running however I have noticed a noise which I am certain was not present before (and I think I would have noticed). It sounds like a belt noise or some sort of reverb during the rev decrease after the engine is revved, that and a squeaking from the center console (like plastic rubbing). Had it back into the dealership, again, to which they said they have not encountered it before and therefore do not know if this is an issue or norm??? Regardless they kept the car in for another 4 days of testing and for replacement of the timing belt to attempt to resolve the engine noise, which has improved the noise a bit but its still intermittently present. The dash squeak essentially overlooked as it could not be replicated by them.

Reported this again to the dealership via the complaints department, after a week or so of silence I pressed again for a response to which I was told they thought everything was fine and my complaints / issues were over. Spoke at length with two managers who have been in the mix about the issues, both customer service and mechanical, to which one of them went away to check on four points of possible progression either with a fourth service department visit or post fourth service dept. visit;

1. return for repair (told would not be an issue at time of phone discussion)
    2. loan car (told would not be an issue at time of phone discussion)
    3. replacement vehicle due to ongoing issue and lack of faith a fourth service department visit will resolve (was uncertain and wanted clarification)
    4. refund (was uncertain and wanted clarification)

After no contact for two further weeks, I pressed for an update and now have been asked would I prefer a replacement vehicle to be sourced, or a final and definitive fix to the outstanding issues (which will be the 4th attempt)?

I have asked for further communication via phone to discuss this latest email, as I don't believe it is that cut and dry without further information as to what would be entailed for both of these options, plus another issue has surfaced in the interim.

So my main query is should I go the replacement route, what by law is my standpoint on the replacement vehicle they would want to provide, given that the car was a used car purchase though essentially new at purchase (was ex demo model I believe)?

Apologies if this seems a bit muddled but I've tried to condense down around 4 months of communications covering several pages of notes.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Have you read the Consumer Rights Act 2015? Covers your situation. It looks as though they gave agreed there is a problem, or many, and you are entitled to reject the vehicle and get your money back. Unfortunately less a useage charge for the time you had it. This is probably what they are aware of and have therefore offered a replacement hoping you haven't realised your rights.

See what there offer would be without making a commitment. Keep it all on paper if you can.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X