• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LegalSolutions4U - Car Rejection Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks both - i went back with a second letter before action as suggested and they came back almost immediately asking me to sign a 'settlement agreement' before payment. Where do i stand with this? I don't want to sign a ropey at best looking document which was drawn up by a company which cannot call themselves solicitors, but "legal advisors".

Also states that if i was to sign they would pay within 7 days, which is actually shorter than the 15th April deadline my 2nd LBA states.

Any help on if i can just disregard this settlement letter? or amend? or is this a normal process in mediation?

Cheers,

Comment

Best to post up the contents of that settlement agreement if you want any proper assistance.

Courts expect legal proceedings to be last resort, so it should at least be considered.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

R0b Attached a redacted version the 3 pages

In part (A) of background it incorrectly states 23rd March as the vehicle purchase date. It was actually 23rd Feb (Lets call this a typo which can be changed and move on)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Correntexp1; 10th April 2019, 13:25:PM.

Comment

R0b Attached a redacted version the 3 pages

In part (A) of background it incorrectly states 23rd March as the vehicle purchase date. It was actually 23rd Feb (Lets call this a typo which can be changed and move on)
          Attached Files

Comment

Well, my initial thoughts are why would you want to sign this? Just going back to your earlier posts, you mention that LS4U stated that the garage will pay you if you return the car to them. On that basis I would call that an offer to settle and, by returning the car to the garage you could argue that you accepted the offer (I hope you have a print out / screenshot of that advert for evidence). Therefore, in my view, I can't see any reason to accept the settlement.

However, if you were sign the settlement letter then you might wish to be careful on clause 4 which effectively prevents you from discussing your dispute with anyone other than the exceptions listed. Effectively its a gagging order and on the one hand, it's damage limitation for the business but on the other, you should be free to talk about the problems you've experienced with them as long as it is factually correct and your not making things up.

Whenever I've come across these types of clauses I tend to reject them and insist on their removal for the reasons above. It's a reasonable ask and if they refuse then you can crack on issuing legal proceedings which means that the matter will be decided in public and on record too so it wouldn't matter anyway. The common excuse for keeping the confidentiality clause is that it is policy for them to include it in the settlement terms; be that as it may, that doesn't mean you have to accept it and then its up to the garage to decide if they want to drag this out to court or remove the clause and get it over and done with.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I'd go along with R0b and ask why would you sign this agreement.
              For a start it leaves you out of pocket... transport of car back to dealer & cost of independent inspection at least.

Rewrite the settlement letter with increased amount and remove clauses you don't agree with and send it as a "without prejudice" counter offer in an attempt to settle the issue without proceedings in accordance with preaction protocol.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X