• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

UK Citizen taking Apple to Court in the UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Citizen taking Apple to Court in the UK

Hi all,

IF a UK Citizen has a problem with an Apple product they purchased in the USA, could they take Apple to Court in the UK?
    Tags: None

Anyone know?

Comment

What exactly is the issue you have that you need to take APPLE to court?
      The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

I don’t see how our courts would have jurisdiction - the contract was formed in USA.

Comment

Originally posted by CLL1 View Post
          I don’t see how our courts would have jurisdiction - the contract was formed in USA.
          What if the uk subsidiary refuses to honour the worldwide guarantee, just as an example?

Comment

It's complicated.

Basically I bought an Iphone which never worked properly. I travel a lot and so had to go to Apple stores in Bangkok, the USA, Europe, when I could to get the problem fixed as Apple were really unhelpful with achieving that via the mail.

Getting an appointment with an Apple Genius proved a nightmare as I needed to get one in a store with the exact model of phone in stock.

Finally, a year later, the store in Berlin identified the problem with the phone (a common problem all over the news and the Web by now) and told me they would replace it. But they had to order the phone in and it might not get there in time. Well, it didn't. I then said I had had enough, bought a Samsung, and sent the defunct phone back to them in the USA and told them to refund me.

They refused, sending the phone to me in Peru by that point, where I was working.

Only they mucked up the customs on the return. They told me to contact Lima Fed-ex which I did, at great expense, only to be told that only the company that sent out the package could call them to hand over the details.

I told Apple this via email, and they emailed back stating they would not contact Fed-ex. I then called Fed-ex again and recorded the cal, getting the exact same information.

This was a year ago, and the phone, unclaimed, was since destroyed.

I am no longer going to be back in the UA, so now want to pursue Apple in the UK Courts.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Your claim is against the bit of Apple that didn't return your phone, or the bit that sold it. That needs to be in the correct jurisdiction. I can't see how that can be in the Uk.

However, you are right. This is complicated, and you are being rather optimistic looking for advice on transnational disputes on a UK consumer forum.

I have no idea whether you have a case at all. It seems to be a dispute about the couriers.

Comment

des8 ? Amethyst ? R0b ?

Comment

So which country did you purchase the phone? Not sure if the UK courts would have jurisdiction but if they did then they would apply the laws of the country in which the phone was purchased.. that could get very expensive.
                    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I bought it in Boston.

Comment

I think that English Courts have automatic jurisdiction when a defendant who is domiciled outside the European Union can be served with the claim form while in England.
                        Now if you can trace an office in the UK belonging to the same company which sold you the device in Boston you should be able to serve suit on them (if I'm right!)

That deals with service of the claim.
                        However the court might decide it doesn't have or wish to exercise that jurisdiction and of course the defendant can challenge jurisdiction

Comment

Originally posted by 2222 View Post

What if the uk subsidiary refuses to honour the worldwide guarantee, just as an example?
                          Depends on what the guarantee says?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X