• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Home contents insurance - Not covered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home contents insurance - Not covered

I always thought I had adequate cover for personal possessions away from home. Whilst on my drive two cars in my name ( one which my daughter was using) were broken into using devices and robbed. Unfortunately it was Christmas and there was more in the boots than usual. My cover has individual items down at up to £5000 but it appears because the cars were on my private driveway and not ''away'' from home I am only covered for a total of £2000, the value of the loss is in excess of £7000 - I am told the incident can only be classed as one incident and not two - which I would think would not be right with it being two separate cars. Yes Ive learnt a terrible lesson, and fear ever having anything in the car of value but I cant be alone? what is the purpose of insurance if you are not covered wherever you are? for loss, theft, etc - is there anything I can do? the cars were locked, private driveway, yet Im not covered
    Tags: None

Can you post up or give a link to the policy wording?
    May also need to look at the schedule, but will ask for that later if required

Comment

Hi this is a link https://www.directline.com/home-cove...ents-insurance

when I was asking via on line chat what my cover included this is what I was told

''I can see here that you have the plus policy; your buildings are covered with accidental damage to an unlimited amount. You have contents cover with accidental damage up to £100,000 and your personal possessions are covered up to £5,300. You also have family legal protection and home emergency cover.''

Comment

Have any of your dealings with Direct Line claim's dept been in writing, or was it all over the phone?

You appear to have following cover:
        Contents cover (section 2) limit £100,000 (includes accidental cover)
        Personal Possessions (section 3) limit £5,300 max any one item £3000

Section 3 limits seem a bit odd... can you confirm exact limits please?

Jewellery is insured under Personal Possessions. Section3
        These are covered "while they are within the British Isles" including "stolen from your unattended vehicle, but only if the vehicle is locked and your possessions are hidden from view in a closed glove compartment or locked boot"
        Under section 3 Limit £2000 if stolen from an unattended motor vehicle ...( 2 vehicles.... does not say from any one incident)!

But if stolen from your home jewellery is covered under Section 2 Contents (theft limit £5000 from outbuildings but limit £2500 if outside "but within the boundaries of your home".
        Now "Home" has a specific "definition "The main residence occupied by you, at the address shown in your schedule, including its domestic garages and outbuildings."....
        That definition does not include gardens or driveways., nor does it define "the boundaries of your home"

Now I believe you have a case to get that indemnity increased.
        Firstly they offered £2000. That is the limit per car under section 3 when away from home.
        Home does not include gardens (their definition and there is some "supportive"case law) so cars were away from home.
        2 cars involved and policy states per car, not any one incident or loss so claim £4000.

Or you could argue for an increase to £2500 under section 2 as that is the theft limit if outside "but within the boundaries of your home".

Now the second option should be easy to obtain, but you will need to do some hard bargaining to get the first accepted.
        You would probably need to be prepared to sue them eventually, and be prepared to lose!

Whatever you chose, keep the claim and all correspondence in writing (email acceptable)

Added Saturday morning:
        If you intend to dispute with them, do either take a screen shot or printout of the full policy wording.
        I have personal experience of an insurer changing their online wording whilst the "discussion" over a poorly worded policy continued.
        Last edited by des8; 5th January 2019, 09:03:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X