• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Who the warranty lies with

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who the warranty lies with

Hi,

I am unsure if this has been answered and if so my apologies.

Just trying to get some clarification on who the warranty lies with and what the consumer rights are in this particular case.

If a company chooses to install a device that is installed on your property from one particular company (There are several that make this particular device) once installed by this company to a consumer it has a 3 year warranty however during that time they switch who they buy their units from and don't really associate with them anymore and then the unit becomes faulty.

As a consumer i would imagine that I would still go to who installed it at my property but upon doing this am told that they no longer work closely with the manufacturer of the unit but are happy to handle my claim on my behalf but it may take some time to get the parts and come out to repair.

Who would actually be in charge of maintenance for the unit and what is reasonable to expect in this situation?
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome.
    Referring to Consumer Rights act 2015:
    1)If the device should be unsatisfactory because it developed a fault within the first six months of installation it would be deemed to have been unsatisfactory at the time of installation and you would have a claim against the installers who supplied the unit.
    2)If the problem showed itself after that six month initial period you could still claim against the installers but you would have to show the device was unsatisfactory at the time of installation.

Without knowing how the warranty was worded, I would guess that it only covers parts and you may be liable for repair costs

Does the device need regular maintenance?
    If so was it part of your original installation contract?
    Could you arrange for another company to carry out the maintenance?

Comment

Hi, thank you for the reply.

At the moment this is a purely hypothetical issue so I can get some things straight on where warranties lie when 1 company handles the installation of another companies product.

From my understanding, I would have thought that even though the company I employ to install the unit got it from someone else my contract would still lie with them even if they themselves don't deal with the other company anymore. I would have thought that they would be required to repair it on their own back and then they themselves seek recompense from who they bought the product off.

The warranty in question would cover the unit installed for 3 years parts and labor against manufacturing faults.

Comment

It is going to depend on the wording of the warranty, but if the manufacturers offer a warranty covering parts and labour it would generally fall to the manufacturers to appoint the engineers. They could however allow the customer to arrange for the engineers, and then pay the engineers directly or via the customer.

If you want you could go down the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and try for breach of contract against the original installers..
        As the unit is over 6 months old you would need to prove it was unsatisfactory when delivered, and if you succeeded they could then make a charge for the usage you have had from it.

Comment

I'm not sure why you don't just go with the flow, Redmondao? The manufacturer offers a 3 year warranty. If the device breaks down, you contact the manufacturer and they will send an engineer out and fix it. Only if that does not work out need you worry about the stress and uncertainty involved in suing the installer.

Incidentally, I recently had a fault on a Worcester Bosch boiler. They sent out an engineer almost immediately. He knew exactly what he was doing, and clearly knew these boilers really well. I was so impressed that I'd call them like a shot if there is a fault outside the warranty period.

Comment

Warranty covers manufacturing faults.... so is the problem a manufacturing fault? How long has this item been installed? We are working with only half a story.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X