• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The seller now wants more money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The seller now wants more money

I bought a motorcycle cheaply from a nice old lady who's son had left it sitting in her garden for years. I made an offer, the old lady told me she would consult her family to check if the offer was acceptable, she said she had checked and that it was. Now, after I got the bike through the MOT without having to spend much, her granddaughter has contacted me saying she wants more money or the bike back and that the old lady never had the right to sell it to me, also, as the old lady and I both signed the V5 in the names of someone else, ( I signed it in my sons name as I was buying it for him, she signed it in her sons name as he is disabled and unable to deal with it himself), the granddaughter is also threatening to report the bike as stolen if I don't pay her more or give the bike back. I don't know where I stand ? Can someone please advise me what to do? Thank you.
    Tags: None

Hello everyone, I bought a motorcycle cheaply from a nice old lady who's son had left it sitting in her garden for years. I made an offer, the old lady told me she would consult her family to check if the offer was acceptable, she said she had checked and that it was. Now, after I got the bike through the MOT without having to spend much, her granddaughter has contacted me saying she wants more money or the bike back and that the old lady never had the right to sell it to me, also, as the old lady and I both signed the V5 in the names of someone else, ( I signed it in my sons name as I was buying it for him, she signed it in her sons name as he is disabled and unable to deal with it himself), the granddaughter is also threatening to report the bike as stolen if I don't pay her more or give the bike back. I don't know where I stand ? Can someone please advise me what to do? Thank you.

Comment

Do you have a bill of sale?

Comment

If she didn't have the right to sell it to you, she has stole the item from her son and will potentially be guilty of theft. So therefore you have unknowingly bought a stolen item. As you know who the legal owner of the item is you need to let them know and you need to let them take it away. You can claim from the seller the money you purchased it for and as you said you have spent money on it putting through an MOT, you can potentially claim compensation to cover this expenditure too.

Do not pay her more money.
        The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

she signed it in her sons name as he is disabled and unable to deal with it himself
          Might she have power of attorney ? ( obviously depends on the severity of disability whether that would be necessary )

The daughter of the previous owner of the bike has no more claim over it than his mother btw, it has nothing to do with her unless she has power of attorney of course.

Do you know the previous owner of the bike at all ?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

As the bike originally belonged to the son, the grand daughter has no right to demand its return as it was not hers..

Does the grand daughter not care that she is accusing her grandmother of selling goods which were not hers a.v. theft

If she should report to the police, as soon as you show plod the registration documents and explain what has happened they will drop the matter on the basis it is a civil matter, not criminal.

I would do nothing, say nothing and see if this girl actually carries out her threats, or if it is empty bluster.

Comment

Amethyst this is a duplicate thread http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...nts-more-money
              Can you merge them please

Comment

Ahhh - I'll have a bash xxx Ta Des.

Edit: think that's done okay
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X