• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contractual Lien in Supplier Chain - Liens against non-direct customers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contractual Lien in Supplier Chain - Liens against non-direct customers?

Hey,

I've been asked by a customer what would happen in the following scenario:

This is related to renting server space from a datacentre though I'll include a more familiar analogy after.

Company A runs a datacentre and rents Company B lots of server space for Company B's equipment. Part of the contract allows company A to put a lien over the equipment in the event company B fails to pay etc...
    Company B also resells some of this space to other companies (lets say Company C). Company C has also installed their own equipment in the space company B is renting from company A, company C has a contract with company B but nothing to company A.
    Company B fails to pay company A. Company A blocks company B and C access to the equipment and puts a lien on it.

Company C has no contracts with company A and owes them no money, assuming company C can prove ownership of their equipment as well as their contract to company B, what can they do to force company A to regain possession of their equipment?

----

Another example would be a self storage company. Lets say a customer stopped paying for storage but a friend of the customer had items belonging to them in it, what recourse do they have to get their property back assuming they can prove ownership?

Thanks,
    Tags: None

This was posted on 30th October 2019 but is still relevant.

Whilst I fully understand your question, it concerns me that this is the second post I have answered today that sounds like a question from an exam paper.

I hope Im not doing your homework for you?

Company A does not need a contract with B / C or anyone else. If equipment is on premises owned by A and A is owed money A is perfectly entitled to put a lien on any goods or chattels A thinks fit.

​​Same answer for the storage company, paying what is owed will release the goods from the lien.

The storage company wont care who pays their outstanding account but without payment the lien would stand.

Both a server facility and a storage facility would be secure buildings which helps.

Im sure my answer could be challenged in a court of law but as covid has backed up the civil court system for years to come I would take my chances and I would advise A to do the same.
    Last edited by EnglandPi; 6th August 2021, 01:27:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X