• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please.

Hi, i was hoping someone would be able to advise me please. i started to do some work for a man in november last year, the job was to help develop and paint a new replica supercar, it was a new business and a rate of £10 per or hour was agreed,on a self employed basis. The first 4 weeks i was paid at the end of each week, then the man came to me and said he had ran out of money to pay me and asked if i would continue to work along side him to finish the car and he would pay me whatever was outstanding to me once the car was sold.

I disscussed this with my wife and because this man was a jahovah's witness(i am not) and seemed to be an honest and genuine man ,plus he had been promised front cover on a kitcar magazine we agreed. Over the next 24 weeks we worked side by side building and painting this car, average 30 hours per week, the car was finished in june ,he was more than happy,showing friends,pics on facebook etc and telling me what a great job i had done. The guy from the kit car magazine came, took photos and test drove the car and loved it. We agreed i was owed £6000 but i said i would take £5000 with it being a new company and with this he promised me a full time job.

The car had the front cover of the kitcar magazine and then put straight up for sale, weeks passed and contact got less with him , spoke to him in august and he said how sorry he was that i hadn't got my money, but was thinking about repainting in a different colour so people thought it was another car he'd built and not the same one no body had bought with the addition of a plate he had on retention.i disagreed with him and asked him to drop the price witch he said he was going to do. by the end of september , i went to see him, only to find the car being prepped for paint , he said it hadn't sold because the work i had done was rubbish and he was not going to pay me.At this point i left without saying anything. I have pics of the build from start to finish , all texts from him saying how much was owed £5000 and how sorry he was i had not been paid , the magazine it was in, it still has pics on his facebook page and has pics and video on his web site in the colour i had painted it in before he had it repainted.

What would be the best thing for me to do, some people say i should go to the police and try to have him arrested for fraud as he had no intention to pay me after i had agreed to work with him, Others say small claims court only. Any advise would be welcomed as my family and i have struggled since this nightmare began living only on my working tax credits as my wife does not work and looks after our daughter , we could not pay our morgage and only just avoided repossession after my mother bailed us out. THANKYOU
    Tags: None

Re: Advice please.

Hi and welcome to Beagles,
    If you have all the proof you need that you are owed this money then you could go through the small claims, you can do it on line and all the info is here.

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

Comment

Hi BEXX,

Small Claims is an option; you could either do it via MCOL or if you are in receipt of 'passport' benefits or have reduced means, you can apply for a fee remission via your local county court.
      You should, however, send him a 'letter before action' (with proof of postage) to ensure you have complied with Civil Procedure Rules Pre-Action Protocol.

The county court also have a mediation service, which might be useful.

You mention that the person is a Jehovah's Witness.
      There may be another line of approach through the Elders of the local group; they might be able to intercede on your behalf.
      Their meeting place/contact numbers are usually fairly well publicised.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by BEXX View Post
        We agreed i was owed £6000 but i said i would take £5000 with it being a new company and with this he promised me a full time job.
        And that is exactly what you now have.

You'll have a job getting him to pay up! :tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

You were working on a self-employed basis. Is there any real paper (invoices from you to him, estimates and so on?), or was it nothing but texts and cash-in-hand? If you have a decent evidential trail (get screenshots of his website before it changes or disappears), then sue him.

Comment

Thanks for your advice, no it wasn't a cash in hand job, i always pay my taxes, does anyone think i could go to the police with this as i feel it may have been his plan to de fraud me. After all the grief he has caused my family and i , if i just go to small claims and win i may never get the money anyway.

Comment

nothing to lose going to the Police Try it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X