• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Commercial Property Lease & landlord issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Property Lease & landlord issues

Okay the long story -
    Before I start - I realise I have signed documents which legally state I must continue with this agreement for a minimum of 1 year. I am not saying I should get away with this now debt however I wonder if there may be a way....

In April i found a property available for commercial lease which I looked at with a view to use for a new restaurant business.
    In May I made the decision it was exactly what iI wanted and signed the paperwork, payed my deposit and 1 month upfront and took the keys.

At some point soon after my life changed drastically, plans changed and I realized I had made a mistake, I spoke to the landlord and discussed termination of the lease over the telephone, all seemed good but nothing in writing (the idea was he would advertise, find someone else and not worry about it).

After more issues I got sidetracked split with my partner, moved out, and the landlord sent an invoice for the next months rent due in August to her address (the address on the lease documents)

She requested that the address was changed to my new one, i contacted the landlord and requested he changed it on the paperwork (via email again) in theory no problem but he agreed as long as the next rent was paid he would transfer the lease.

The next month he sent another invoice to the her address, she went spare, threatening legal action in writing to him as she didnt want it going there. I didnt live there anymore - I feel this is where he got some motivation, almost having fun and being spiteful?

This was the point where I got fed up with it all, went to the property and noticed all the locks had been changed (can someone charge rent for a property once they have locked someone out?)

I have had an email from the landlord saying that he council as rates would be due, however again if I no longer have access to the property is this allowed?

I have also had a phonecall from the electricity company trying to find out who is now responsible for the electricity bills. Again I am no longer there, I never signed any agreements for electric so I would still be on the emergeny tarrifs. I will happily pay for the amounts outstanding but should I pay anything since not having access?

Before I got the keys we agreed via email that I wanted the metal shutters fixing/replacing on the property however still to this date they havn't been done. Can this be used in my strength? I have been down and photographed the shutters but I cannot prove that I no longer have access to the property, in theory the landlord could just go and put the old locks back on.

As i hadnt replied to the landlord for a few days he sent an email saying that he would could instruct bailifs to visit the 3 properties he had addresses for and I would incur 3 charges if the amount owing exceeded £750 he would "apply to the county court and may also apply for a bankruptcy petition."

I emailed saying that he should only have 1 address now after our agreement to change the details.

I have since had an email forwarded from my previous employer from him stating - please sort your debt with us..commercial lease... road name, city name... trying to avoid other charges a collection company will add, these can be substantial - Is this allowed?
    He has today sent a letter to my home address (and presumably my ex partners house and my old work address but addressed it to Mr Surname. In my eyes this is almost him hoping my father will open it. I opened it however, my parents are aware of the situation but they are also unsure how to advise.

I wonder if anyone may have any suggestions on the action i should take, I am reluctant to pay the now large enough debt in full as I am currently out of work and the way the landlord has been he no longer deserves my respect or money. The only legal advice I have tried to get was through CAB but as its a commercial matter they couldnt help.
    Sorry for rambling on a bit, so much to tell but not sure of relevance of any of it anymore. If anyone can offer and advice it will be much appreciated!!
    Tags: None

Re: Commercial Property Lease & landlord issues

Unfortunately it appears the Landlord has done no wrong. You only need to be late by 1 day with payment for rent for action to be taken.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X