• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business Debt from 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Debt from 2010

Hi There,

I am owed a total of £7410.00 for a job dating back to 2010. Depsite numerous requests and promises I have yet to see this money. The Company is still trading and I have been keeping a close eye on their credit score which between July 2011 and Jan 2012 was showing as a Very High Risk Company. However since Feb 2012 it has jumped up to a Below Average risk with a hugely improved credit score. I am aware that the Company is aiming to stage a big event in the Summer and rumours were abound that should this event prove succesful and they make money we would finally be paid. However the last event staged ( in 2010 of which we havent been paid, wasnt succesful and lost money hence the non payment to us) . We have been very patient despite this putting us in a very difficult financial position, but I am thinking now may be as good a time as any to finally send a solicitors letter threatening Court Action and try and finally get this money out of them rather than wait for the next event to potentially fail and the business be wound up and never see our money at all ? . Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.
    Tags: None

Re: Business Debt from 2010

Wouldn't a Statutory Demand be more appropriate?

Comment

To be honest, and as you've already made repeated requests for payment, I would serve a claim immediately. MCOL is the easiest and I can't see any reason why a business can't use this service.

Having spent 20 years in the UK business arena I am well aware that many businesses are operated by individuals who will only pay when there is no alternative.

As this would be small claims, there would be no costs to pay the other side should you lose.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

An SD is also an option (as CleverClogs has said) and may work (they usually do) - the only snag I think would be if the firm still didn't pay at which point you would be seeking to have that business wound-up (as opposed to bankrupting an individual). However, I have no idea how to go about doing that should the SD be ignored but suspect it is quite involved and may result in costs for you.

A claim, on the other hand, might be more straightforward.

HTH
      LA

Comment

I wouldn't have waited this long, our customers get 14 days over the due date, then its a Final Demand, if no monies within 7 days then I'm straight onto MCOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Alcohol View Post
          As this would be small claims, there would be no costs to pay the other side should you lose.

HTH
          LA

Hi LA

Has the limit for small claims altered, it used to be £5K.

Peter

Comment

Oops, just realised I missed the decimal point in Daley's post - £7410 not £741 - so would this be OK in MCOL as it wouldn't go the small claims track?

Maybe an SD is best?

LA
            ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
            Originally posted by Mr.Peterbard View Post
            Hi LA

Peter
            My bad

Last edited by Lord_Alcohol; 19th March 2012, 15:22:PM. Reason: End-to-end post-prandial senior moment(s)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Peterbard View Post
              Hi LA

It hasn't. (link)

Comment

Hi

I think i would still go the county court route. Forcing a company into bancruptcy should be a lst resort in my view. Apart from being expensive, you do not know what other debts the company have and how far down the list you will come.

Peter

Comment

I somehow missed all of your replies to my post back in 2012, not sure how that happened. Just wanted to thankyou all for your responses. We were lucky in that a Barrister friend agreed to get involved and the Company in question finally paid up in October 2012 without the need to take it to court. A few very well written letters from her did the trick.

Thankyou all for your advise.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X