• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reimbursement for repair from a car hire company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reimbursement for repair from a car hire company

Hi,

I hired a vehicle in May through a rentals company for 4 weeks. When the vehicle arrived, several of the tyres were in a seriously worn state and I highlighted this to the company. Their response was to take it to a local garage and get them changed. They gave me a list and said if we couldn't get to one of those garages, they would re-imburse us. We were due to take it to one of their garages after the bank holiday but on the sunday before, we had a blowout on a busy A road in the evening.

Their offices were closed so we had to pay a tyre company to come out and change, what ended up being, two of the tyres. I have been pursuing them for the amount for three months now and they have stopped responding to my emails, even though they have had all the paperwork from the tyre company and have even spoken to them previously.

I am at the point where I think it might need small claims intervention. Should I send them an invoice prior to this so I have something to claim from even though they have maintained in the past that they will just reimburse me - The amount is just over £500.00.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Tags: None

Was their agreement to reimburse you put in writing - letter, email, text etc?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I have emails from them saying that they will reimburse but they have been requesting a 'breakdown' of cost from the tyre company before they do this, who have sent an invoice over to them and copied me in. This is before the rental comapny stopped communicating.

They have said the invoice is not specific enough even though it states what work has been done - I don't feel the tyre company could provide much more information than they have on the invoice.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Does the invoice from the tyre company state the depth of tread on the tyres that were replaced?. If it said the tyres were significantly worn to make them illegal, you have a very strong claim. If not, it may not be too late to ask the tyre company for a short report about the condition of the tyres replaced
        You should contact the tyre company, explain the situation, and see if they can help. You could promise excellent reviews on consumer forums

Comment

What you say suggests that you have sufficient evidence to prove your claim. I suggest that you write a clear letter giving them 14 days to pay, failing which you will begin a county court claim.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi, Thanks for both of your replies, very much appreciated. I've spoken to the tyre company and have photographs of the tyres too. I will draft up a letter today.

Thanks again.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X