• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sub-contractor questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub-contractor questions

Hi,

I hope someone is able to help as we are a small company and really don't know what to do.

We have recently (in the past 7 months) started working as a sub-contractor for a much larger company.

We originally came into contact with this larger company with the intention of carrying out a 7 month project with them which was due to start June 2023, as the project is so large it would require our whole work force to be on site for the duration. We were promised the job would start so we ceased finding our own projects. The job how ever was pushed back time and time again so luckily the main contractor provided us with smaller fill in jobs.

We have now seen what this main contractor is like to work for they bring the moral of the team down and payments are awful they are finding any excuse not to pay our invoices and the relationship is not a good one.

The large project is due to start on Monday and we would love to pull out but do not know where we stand. We have a contract that we signed at the beginning of July and in the contract it mentions a completion date of the 28th Dec, obviously due to the 6 month delay in the start date this end date will not stand.

Is there any way we can pull out of this job due to the delay in the start date and the contract no longer being accurate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you .
    Tags: None

Unless there is an explicit right to terminate the contract either due to the company's breach of obligations or if there is such a long delay on the project due to events outside either side's control or some other provision that triggers the right of termination, the answer will likely be no.

Always the starting point is read your contract you signed. It's very dangerous to sign a contract you have neither read nor understand nd I'm sure the company took advantage of that but perhaps a lesson learnt for next time and make sure you negotiate first, rather than just signing on the dotted line.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

You have a contract signed in July. Read it!
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yes you should definitely read the contract, particularly in respect of any start date, contract delays, extensions of time.
        It is unusual to have a completion date. Is the client a department store that wanted to be open for the January sales?
        For the main contract It is more common to have a flexible start date, say within 3 months of signing the contract and a contract period to complete the work after the start on site.
        When you signed the contract early July, did you anticipate an imminent start date? If you did you probably priced your subcontract quotation on this basis. Did you qualify your quote that the price would only stand for 3 months? This is what most subcontractors do.
        You should contact the main contractor to let him know you will be seeking increased costs caused by the delay.
        This might not make for a good working relationship, but by the sound of it the relationship isn't going to be good anyway.

Comment

Relevant? https://www.fenwickelliott.com/resea...ers/insight/70

Comment

The article that Efpom has referred to would be v. useful reading if the main contractor and subcontractors experience delays after work has started and suffer loss and expense.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X