• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VAT and Import Duty Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAT and Import Duty Query

Hi,

I am just starting a new business selling giftware - paintings, small statues etc.
    I am sourcing the products from abroad - countries like China and India.
    The ordering is done either online or when I visit that particular country. For example, I will be visiting India in September of this year.

Goods are delivered to the UK via Royal Mail or DHL.

I note that I must pay VAT and Import Duty on these goods.

I have just had a small delivery but the supplier from China did not charge me VAT or any Import duty to be paid to HMRC.

I am not VAT registered so I do not have a VAT number.

My question is how do I pay VAT and Import duty to HMRC?

Thanking you for your reply.
    Tags: None

This post was mistakenly unapproved by the spam filter and has now been approved.

Comment

Contact HMRC at Southend they will assist you to register for VAT, Please do not avoid the tax it has penalties that are very severe. As my ex-partner found out.

Comment

Usually you are contacted by the shipper and told how much you need to pay in advance or it is collected on delivery in my experience

Comment

Policy If you are conducting business, the best course of action is to register for VAT and keep every receipt incoming, and your expense document, if and when the VAT Officer calls you then have proof of incoming and outgoing business that you have conducted.

Comment

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post
            Policy If you are conducting business, the best course of action is to register for VAT and keep every receipt incoming, and your expense document, if and when the VAT Officer calls you then have proof of incoming and outgoing business that you have conducted.
            Hi,

I would like to pay any VAT / Import duty but do not want to register for VAT. My turnover in the first year is only expected to be around £5000.

Comment

I'm not an expert on this but I don't believe it is possible to pay VAT you have collected to HMRC without being a VAT registered trader. Why not call HMRC and ask them for advice on what you would like to do?
              All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X