• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Holding Deposit & Goods With Held Commercial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding Deposit & Goods With Held Commercial

Hi

Can someone advise with this problem please.

My friend & I wanted to rent a room in a beauty salon. She asked for a 'holding deposit' of £1,000 but we only could give her £500 at the time (£250 each) and the rest to be paid in July.

We were supposed to sign a contract and start there on June 1st. We were then told it would be next week as furniture hadn't arrived then it would be July so we have never had chance to work. he also said we couldn't put our unit against the wall as it was wet.

This week we went to see how things were progressing. the room she showed us (same one??) stunk of damp. We had a qualified tradesman with us at the time who pointed out that the wall was wet and it smelt damp She said that her husband had painted it 3 times. The tradesman pointed out that you cannot just paint over damp it needed to be treated. We offered to have this done at our own cost as we needed to start work as soon as possible. She refused our offer. As my friend suffers from asthma and also we didn't think that our clients, especially as we were carrying out procedures would be happy with this we said that unless the room was treated for damp we would e unable to proceed with it.

At this point we had not signed a contract. She only had the holding deposit of £500. We have now asked for her to return this as she a) refuses to repair the room b) has not made the room available and c) not given us a contract.

She also has said that if we do not give her another £500 that we cannot remove our items we took down to salon. I asked for them back and she has said they are no longer at the salon as her husband has removed them into safe storage.

Without our goods which incudes my insurance certificate/professional certificates etc I am unable to work.

What should I do? Thanks
    Tags: None

It sounds as though you need to engage a solicitor to write a stiff letter demanding the return of your property and your deposit. I have the feeling that a letter from yourselves will not be treated sufficiently seriously.

Do you have any legal expenses insurance cover?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X