• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

sole trader being threatened with debt collection for debt I do not owe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sole trader being threatened with debt collection for debt I do not owe

Hi,

I need some legal advice regarding a debt collection dispute, as I'm unable to afford professional legal assistance. Here's a summary of my situation:
    1. “ABC Omega debt collection” claims I owe Rackspace (UK) Cloud over $800 USD plus interest.
    2. I have evidence of closing my Rackspace account in June 2022 with all outstanding charges paid.
    3. I have a phone call recording of Rackspace admitted to neglecting to close a second account in my name, which they didn't inform me about when I requested account closure. This explains the charges.
    4. I reasonably expected all accounts in my name to be closed when I requested "close my account" and stated "I no longer need your service."
    5. The accrued debt is for web hosting services that I haven't used since I requested account closure.
    6. Rackspace billing staff have been uncooperative, limiting my access to proof by cancelling my access to their messaging system, and not providing the necessary screenshots.
    7. Account closure was only allowed over the phone, but I insisted on confirmation via their website messaging system, which they've now revoked my access to. Fortunately, I have some (albeit limited) proof in the form of 1 screenshot & 1 copied & pasted text file.
    8. Despite providing documentation and proof, the both the debt collection agency & rackspace remain uncooperative.
    9. I’ve informed the debt collectors that I do not live at the address they’re sending letters to (it’s my elderly parents address), but they refuse to remove it from their system.
    10. I'm concerned that aggressive collectors might visit my elderly parents' home one day. My parents aren’t well, vulnerable, forget everything they’re told & wouldn’t know how to deal with it. My mother had a breakdown just talking about not letting debt collectors through their front door. It would finish them off.
    11. Due to my current living situation, I cannot provide my current address to the debt collectors. My landlord is a large company, and I'm in a delicate situation where I cannot risk aggressive debt collectors having my current address (as well as my parent's) until I find somewhere more reliable to live.
    I'm unsure of what to do next, as I can't afford to hire a legal professional. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. However, I suspect I might have to get a loan and just pay the $800 to avoid them finishing off my parents. Thank you for your insight, particularly if you've been through anything similar.
    Tags: None

Are you in the USA? I ask as this is a UK law forum.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X