• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Enforcing a newly registered Trademark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforcing a newly registered Trademark

I'm after some advice on how to handle a potential Trademark infringement. Here's the possible situation although the business type and names are made up.

I want to start a business selling fishing tackle online. I want to call the business 'Lakeside Tackle' so I check if the name has been trademarked; it hasn't. I apply for the trademark words 'Lakeside Tackle', and after the allotted period, it's granted to me.

After this, I notice that there is a brick and mortar tackle shop trading as 'Lakeside Tackle'. They are established, having been trading for 10+ years but they do not own any trademark. They have registered as a limited company 'Lakeside Tackle (location)' though.

Taking the moral argument out of the picture - what legal rights do I have to enforce my newly granted trademark to prevent the established shop from trading under the same name? Does a history of using a trading name give the operator any power to continue even if a cease and desist letting is issued to them?

Tags: None

Although this is not my area of law I know someone who knows a fair bit about this. However it does read like a student problem. Can you give us any further info to convince us it is a genuine issue of the kind which shoud be dealt with by our forum?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X