• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Slave Labour suspected

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slave Labour suspected

I’ve worked in this company for many years we were bought out by Indian investors 2 years ago, we are a print and sign company so staff need a lot of experience and training usually before we can employ them, following the buyout a number of the fitters left (by choice) due to financial issues the company incurred which was as a direct effect of the numerous cash jobs that were put through the company, we advertised for new fitters with experience then out of nowhere without an interview or any of normal processes the directors introduced us to our new fitter who had just come to the country directly from India, we were told they were engineers However they had absolutely zero manufacturing experience and had never so much as used a drill, this happened again with a further 3 untrained inexperienced Indians that had came over directly from India for this position. We now have 4 total and our 2 existing staff/fitters. I’ve since found out from our existing staff members through their talking and working with the new fitters (who can talk English) that the following (which I’ll list below) and want to know as I’m pretty such this is highly illegal not to mention massively unethical legally is this allowed??
    1. We work a 40 hour week standard, the Indians stay on until 8;30 and later no matter how many hours they work their only paid a flat 40 hours they are not on salary pay.
    2. 3 of them live in the same house, (the director, the accounts Indian and the “fitter” Indian so they can only leave when the director decides to go home as he drives them to and from work.
    3. one of them told me his family is in debt, the director paid this off hence he now works to pay back this money
    4. they each pay around £100 a week to the directors family to pay back the money it cost to bring them over
    5. I haven’t been able to confirm exactly how much they pay to “come over” but from a conversation with one he “confirmed “ it was over £30k
    6.they work 6 days a week but are only paid for 40 hours

I don’t want to use any names so please forgive my referring to the above staff as “one of them” they are all very grateful to the director for in their minds helping them, where does this fall within the law? Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X