• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Which rules apply?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which rules apply?

Hi, I hope somebody can help.
    I run a small business and my bank recently froze all my bank accounts due to an unfounded suspicion of fraud.

This cost me £1600 in lost earnings which I’d like to reclaim but the bank say they were acting in accordance with regulations.

I raised a case with the financial ombudsman who agreed with the bank and explained to me that banks are duty bound to freeze accounts im these circumstances but I think they have discretion.

can anyone tell me which regulations the banks have to follow and if possible the specific sections that apply in this case.

Thanks
    Tags: None

I think your answer lies within the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, the Terrorism Act 2000 and Money Laundering Regulations 2017 (including The Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017)

Afraid I do not know which, if any specific sections apply to your circumstances

Comment

Thanks that’s very useful, I would stress that it was simple case of a customer who paid me a small some of money via bank transfer then didn’t recognise the transaction a few weeks later when he saw his bank statement.
      i appreciate that the bank needed to investigate I just find it hard to believe that they were justified in freezing my personal current account, my personal savings account and my credit card as well as my business account.
      I’ll look through the regulations and thanks again

Comment

As the bank have stated they "acted in accordance with the regulations" ask them to specify the regulations to which they refer, and the section(s) within those regulations

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X