• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shareholder Deception

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shareholder Deception

I am a joint shareholder of a company, so 50/50.

We have a company wanting to buy us out for £200k, so £100k each.

I cannot go with this offer as it is a 4 year earn out deal, of which I have no interest.

My business partner, advises me that due to the fact that I was key to the deal, that valuation has gone down to £120k, and he is now offering me £60k to buy me out, based on that figure.

We are in the throws of negotiating right now, as he needs to get me out a.s.a.p. and he needs to sell the company due to it being tied in to the sale of his bigger company at the same time.. i.e. he's a director of both and is selling both at the same time to the same other company..

I don't for one minute feel he is being honest with me, I think the valuation is still exactly where it was i.e. £200k. The easy answer is to challenge him to produce documentation to back up the figure of £120k.i.e call his bluff.

Where do I stand legally if I find out later on that he was lying and he has been trying to deceive me..?

Thanks in advance..
    Tags: None

Hi SEPIA

The best thing to do might be to contact a solicitor (fixed fee) to handle the sale on your behalf (you don't need to run up a huge bill, in essence this should be a simple transaction). As soon as your partner knows that a solicitor is handling the transaction on your behalf, you should know exactly where you stand with the transaction and honesty of your partner.

If after the transaction has taken place, you find that you have been defrauded, then obviously you can take 'legal action provided you have 'proof'. The key is making sure everything is done in writing.

Comment

If he needs to sell then ask for £100k up front or no sale. It will be worth that to him presumably to ensure the other sale goes though. Why bother asking him to prove the lower valuation?

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
        If he needs to sell then ask for £100k up front or no sale. It will be worth that to him presumably to ensure the other sale goes though. Why bother asking him to prove the lower valuation?
        Thanks for your advice, its very much appreciated...

This is also tied to a 12 month employment contract, so I can do a hand over and appear to our customers that I'm not gone.., but there is a big bit of me thinking just to hand in my notice in and keep the shares, as that would then potentially put me in a very strong position, as the only way the "bigger" deal would happen is to start talking..., and he would have no hold whatsoever on me as part of his plan is to tie me up with a NDA.

The other angle is to go around all this lot and speak directly with the company who want to buy us out, and negotiate with them privately..

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X