• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Terms and conditions breach dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terms and conditions breach dispute

Hello I would be very grateful for any legal views or case law on this please. I will simplify the issue but it is essentially this. We entered into a building contract. Clients terms and conditions said we are not allowed to use sub contractors. We used them and did not tell them beforehand,. We did the work, then client provided evidence to show we used sub contractors and refused to pay for any of the work. Their terms and conditions do make it clear that a breach means they can terminate/rescind the contract. However, here is the other part. We have since found out that they knew for a fact we would use sub contractors BEFORE they entered into the contract with us.

So the general question is, if a client enters into a contract with a contractor knowing that it breaches their terms and conditions, are they then allowed to use those terms and conditions to claim a breach and not pay? Do those terms and conditions still hold true? Seems a very sneaky way to get free work.
    Tags: None

Hello.

First of all, I have little sympathy for you if you chose to ignore the terms and conditions. Irrespective of whether they knew you were going to use subcontractors, the contract states you are now allowed to - that governs your relationship. Why didn't you just say you would have to use subcontractors and tell them up front who they were and build it into the contract?

Asking questions about a contract is difficult if we have to speculate what the terms say, but let's assume the contract says they will pay you for the work, then they can't refuse to pay you if the work has been done and that would put them in breach of contract.

Thats assuming the contract says if you breach the contract then they get the work done for free which would be very surprising and probably an unfair contract term. They could claim damages for breach of contraxt but then they would have to prove their losses - work has been completed so there doesn't seem to be any loss, right?

So in short, based on what you've described, the fact you breached the obligation not to use subcontractors does not negate the fact that you are entitled to be paid for the work. It would be classed as a debt and I you should be able to issue a claim then make an application for summary judgment since they wouldn't have any defence.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Hello.
      Thats assuming the contract says if you breach the contract then they get the work done for free which would be very surprising and probably an unfair contract term. They could claim damages for breach of contraxt but then they would have to prove their losses - work has been completed so there doesn't seem to be any loss, right?

So in short, based on what you've described, the fact you breached the obligation not to use subcontractors does not negate the fact that you are entitled to be paid for the work. It would be classed as a debt and I you should be able to issue a claim then make an application for summary judgment since they wouldn't have any defence.
      Thanks for your response (wasn't looking for sympathy I know I been stupid!) This is an important point. No the contract doesn't say they get work for free. In relation to not paying for work done, they don't make any reference to the contract in correspondence with us, they said this:
      "In circumstances in which the contract has been terminated and/or rescinded it is denied that we are obliged to pay the alleged or any sums to the contract or any of the alleged invoices claimed are due or payable". Is there any legal basis to this? Does the word 'rescinded' change anything? Ihe contract also say this if it is of any use: "The termination of the Contract shall not prejudice or affect any right, power or remedy which has accrued or shall accrue to either Party prior to or after such termination or expiry"

Yes there are no losses on their part. On the contrary they have got work for free.

Comment

Well it depends on whether they rescinded the contract or terminated it. Rescission of contract essentially extinguishes the contract and puts each party in the position before the contract was entered into.

So if they have rescinded the contract then they should be put into the position before work was carried out. If that is impossible then damages are awarded in lieu.

However, what you referenced could mean that rescission does not affect your right to being paid. Again, it comes down to the terms and conditions and what they say and which you have not shared.

I would suggest you upload a copy of the terms in full so we can review them and take it from there. Otherwise this is all speculation and doesn't really help your situation.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X