• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with statute barred debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with statute barred debt

Would this be a suitable defence ?

1. The Defendant has not acknowledged the debt in writing in the last six (6) years.

2. The Defendant has not paid any part of this debt in the last six (6) years.

3. The Defendant has requested copies of documents (agreement, default notice, assignment) mentioned in the particulars of claim in accordance with CPR 31.14 but the claimant has failed to comply with this request.

4. ACCORDINGLY THE Defendant seeks the Claimants claim to be dismissed by the court as the debt is a statute-barred under the Limitations Act 1980, Section 5.

Comment

Originally posted by 5hotgun12 View Post
      This relates to an agreement regulated by the CCA 1974 on 06/09/2005
      A default was recorded on 20/12/2007
      The assignment was made on 20/12/2007
      ^ ^ ^ are you sure that's word for word what was stated in the Particulars of Claim?

No mention of who was the original creditor?

So who was the original creditor?

Di

Comment

It was an MBNA Credit card

The claim details are in the attachment

(edit: removed c/card number)
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Amethyst; 15th February 2017, 11:27:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
          Was this a credit card or a loan because that can make a difference to the certainty of SB which isn't automatically based on the last payment made.

You say the debt has not been acknowledged for "many years". How many years and what evidence have you got to support that fact if challenged?

Do you know the date of the Default Notice and the remedy date? This can often be months after you stopped paying the monthly minimum contractual amount due and that can impact on a SB argument.

Who was the original lender (MBNA?) because it makes sense to send them a Subject Access Request immediately to get the full history of the account.

Even if you are convinced it's SB it's always a good idea to throw in as many legal arguments as you can with your Defence on a just-in-case basis
          I can see that in post # 2 on 3rd February I advised you to send a Subject Access Request to the original creditor. Did you do that?

I also asked whether the debt was a credit card or a loan for SB reasons. I can see the POC you posted today don't say what kind of agreement it was.

Do you recognise the debt?

Di

Comment

It was an MBNA Credit card

The claim details are in the attachment
            Our posts crossed again, but same question, did you send MBNA a SAR?

Di

Comment

I sent at CCA letter to Link Financial and a CPR request to Kearns.
              I didn't send a SAR to the original claimant but can do this now.
              It was a credit card.
              I vaguely recall an MBNA card but thought this was paid/resolved long ago.

Comment

I didn't send a SAR to the original claimant but can do this now.
                It was a credit card.
                I vaguely recall an MBNA card but thought this was paid/resolved long ago.
                Send the SAR to MBNA so you'll have the full history of the account.

If the Claimant struggles to obtain the documents needed they may attempt to reconstitute them so you'll need the SAR information in order to cross check those recons for 'honesty and accuracy'.

Di

Comment

Sure, I'll do that now.

But do I enter a defence anyway ? I'm out of time so I think I have to.
                  Is the defence I suggested a suitable one ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X