• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot, Barclaycard , Claim form. Plese help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot, Barclaycard , Claim form. Plese help!

Hello Folks,

I have Barclaycard defaulted in 2009.

I knew i have paid some money thereafter directly to Barclays though NOT in the last 2 years(I think!)

I cant remember getting a notice of assignment.

I just got the Claim form last week and will need advice to get it sorted.

I cannot afford the total sum.

Could entering arrangement to pay help to avoid CCJ at this stage?

Cheers
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot, Barclaycard , Claim form. Plese help!

Originally posted by Angelica View Post
    Hello Folks,

I have Barclaycard defaulted in 2009.
    Ok.

I knew i have paid some money thereafter directly to Barclays though NOT in the last 2 years(I think!)
    So probably not statute-barred, but still worth making sure.

I cant remember getting a notice of assignment.
    Ok, this can be dealt with in due course.

I just got the Claim form last week and will need advice to get it sorted.
    Have you acknowledged the claim with court?
    If not, do so asap.
    When was the claim issue date? (Front page N1 court claim form).

I cannot afford the total sum.

Could entering arrangement to pay help to avoid CCJ at this stage?
    Possibly, & probably best arranged in the Mediation process which is offered FOC via the court.
    Again, we can take a look & give opinion in due course.

Cheers
    Hi Angelica

The most important thing now & throughout the claim is to follow court instructions & deadlines.
    So acknowledge the claim as a priority; you should be able to do this via MCOL (in any event, instructions on how to respond should be provided within the court pack).

It would also help if you could post up the Particulars of Claim (Again, front of N1)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I really appreciate your quick response.
      Particulars of Claim:
      1) The Claimant claims the sum of £XXXX being monies due from defendant to the claimant under a regulated agreement between the defendant and Barclaycard
      (card number)
      and assigned to the claimant on 31/01/2014, notice of which have been provided to the defendant.

2) The defendant has failed to make payment in accordance with the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served pursuant to the consumer credit act 1974.
      3) The claimant claims the sum of £XXX and costs
      4) The Claimant has complied , as far as is necessary, with the pre-action conduct practice direction.

Issue date is 24th November

Thanks

Comment

A pretty standard bare-bones PoC, par for the course.
        Ok, acknowledge the court claim asap; that will give you some breathing space.
        If you live in England/Wales, do not contest jurisdiction.
        Atm, defend in full; do not enter anything which could be construed as a defence on response form.
        Let us know that you've done so.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Make sure that you had ppi on the creditcard, get your subject access request, and check all the charges on your credit card. agree to pay £1 a month they probably owe you money, can you put letters up on here please.

Comment

Is the Claimant Hoist and the solicitors Howard Cohen? Knowing who you're dealing with helps because they all fight in their own individual ways with different strengths and weaknesses.

How much is the claim for?

When was the Barclaycard account opened?

I see no reason to make them an offer at this early stage. Do your background research first.

Send a SAR to Barclaycard so you've got the true history of the account then you'll be in a better position to make an informed decision as to whether you wish to settle the claim or fight on.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
              1) Is the Claimant Hoist and the solicitors Howard Cohen?

2) How much is the claim for?

3) When was the Barclaycard account opened?

4) Send a SAR to Barclaycard so you've got the true history of the account then you'll be in a better position to make an informed decision as to whether you wish to settle the claim or fight on.
              Di
              1) Claimant is Cobot Financial and the Solicitor is Shoosmiths LLP

2) £7k plus

3) Before 2002. I cant remember the exact year but i used a lump sum in December 2002.

4) Do I send SAR to Barclaycard or to Cabot?

Thank you so Much

Comment

1) Claimant is Cobot Financial and the Solicitor is Shoosmiths LLP

2) £7k plus

3) Before 2002. I cant remember the exact year but i used a lump sum in December 2002.

4) Do I send SAR to Barclaycard or to Cabot?
                You send the SAR to Barclaycard. A debt purchaser such as Cabot doesn't always have access to the same information as you can get from the original creditor.

A SAR should reveal the call log and the transaction log enabling you to see what really did or didn't happen in the past. This can be really useful if/when you are sent reconstituted documents which may not be 'honest and accurate'.

You need to send a s 77-79 CCA Request to Cabot with a £1 postal order - if they can't comply with your request then they can't enforce the debt in court until or unless they do.

Feel free to ask any questions

Di

Comment

Cheers.

Do you have links to templates of both?

Cheers

Comment

You need to send a s 77-79 CCA Request to Cabot with a £1 postal order
                    http://legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?751-Consumer-Credit-Act-1974-Basic-Request-for-Original-Copy-of-Agreement

You send the SAR to Barclaycard.
                    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ur-information
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks

Do I amend the letters to be £1 or £10 ?

Cheers

Comment

Do I amend the letters to be £1 or £10 ?
                        When I clicked on that first link to the CCA Request Template Letter it directed me to the wrong link so you'll need to check you've got the right one first.

What you'll be sending is:

1. A CCA Request to Cabot with a £1 postal order.

2. A CPR 31.14 Request to Shoosmiths solicitors with no fee.

3. A SAR to Barclaycard with a £10 postal order.

But most importantly you need to go online and file your Acknowledgement of Service ticking the box which says you intend to defend all of the claim. This prevents the Claimant from getting a Default Judgment (CCJ) against you and gives you 33 days from the Claim Issue date to file your Defence.

I know it may all seem alien to you right now but the Beagles will guide you along the way

Di

Comment

Again, both of them have the same wordings.

Is it the same letter with different name?

Cheers

Comment

@ Di

I have acknowledge the court one. Thanks

Need little clarification on those letters.
                            Cheers

Comment

Again, both of them have the same wordings.

Is it the same letter with different name?
                              Our posts crossed

There's an error with the first link.

See if this post by Amethyst helps you instead:

Firstly, don't panic.

Secondly, many of these Consumer Credit debt based Court Claims are issued through the County Court Business Centre and are rather lacking in detail and information. The are often claims bought by debt purchasers who don't have the paperwork to back them up to hand and who wing it on the hope that they obtain a default judgment.

So, first steps (within 14 days of receiving the claim)

1: ACKNOWLEDGE THE CLAIM - you can do this online usually at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
                              You'll need your claim reference and password from the front of the claim form - this will extend the time you have to respond to the claim to 28 days from when you received it

2: Send A CCA REQUEST to the CLAIMANT ( see here )
                              This applies to all credit cards / loans / hire purchase / store cards type debt. It doesn't apply to Mobile Phones / Utilities or Overdrafts.

3: Send a CPR request to the CLAIMANT'S SOLICITORS ( see here )

This applies to everything unless they happen to have supplied you with a bunch of paperwork to back up their claim (v. unlikely) You can include a copy of your CCA request with this letter for information.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X