• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shop lifting charges threats of civil action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop lifting charges threats of civil action

Hi, I was at Tescos working as a sub contractor. I walked out of the store with some items that belonged to the subcontractor.

The duty manager and security called me back and accused me of shop lifting. I was put in a room and the police were called. I also called the police and explained the items belonged to the company I was working for.

The police called back and said they will not be attending as its a civil matter.

I was threatened with civil action and wondered how as Tescos didnt own the property and was informed to recover their time.

I have just received a letter asking for £125 for staff costs.

As the security was employed to be there and the duty manager was continuing his tasks from the desk, not sure how they can justify this.

Also received a number of threats from the duty manager that he was going to put my details all over the notice boards, which im well aware he cannot do. He was boasting to colleagues how he lets the police use the canteen for early morning raids, so will get a conviction no problem for me.

Does anybody know if the Oxford case is still relevant which kicked these charges into touch.

I am a diabetic and asked if somebody could get me something to eat as I was feeling unwell, this was refused and I had to remain in this room for a while longer. An hour and half later I was accused of being drunk when it was more my sugar levels were all over the place.

If any advice could be given it would be greatly appreciated as I would prefer not to pay this fine as it amounts to about 3 days pay.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Shop lifting charges threats of civil action

from RLP - ignore they are the pits look at other RLP threads it IS NOT A FINE they have made no loss IGNORE they will :colbert::colbertester for a while before getting tired of threatograms to you!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
    from RLP - ignore they are the pits look at other RLP threads it IS NOT A FINE they have made no loss IGNORE they will :colbert::colbertester for a while before getting tired of threatograms to you!
    sure others will comment also!

Comment

This is not a fine, only courts can issue a fine and RLP are not a court! Why would you even think of paying anything to anyone if it's not Tesco's property?

I would by now be writing to Tesco head office complaining about wrongful detention by this manager and his staff and his refusal to recognise a health disability that could have seriously jeopardised your health. Did you lose money because of your detention? If you did then claim it back from them.

Also complain about the fact that the manager is talking about prosecution to all and sundry, thus damaging your reputation, about. You have a right to privacy.

Tesco Plc
      Mr Dave Lewis Chief Executive
      Email dave.lewis@uk.tesco.com

Comment

Hi and welcome

If I read your post correctly, what a bloody cheek Tesco and RLP have trying to charge you for security time when the goods you were carrying had nothing to do with them.

As Mike said ignore RLP for ever.
        Since Oxford case RLP have not recommended their clients try court

I would be contemplating a letter of complaint to CEO of Tesco regarding your possible unlawful detention, the threats made to you by the security goon, and the refusal to allow you food in consideration of your medical condition.
        Last edited by des8; 28th September 2016, 19:39:PM. Reason: crossed with Ostell

Comment

Did you discuss the issue at the time with the sub contractor you worked for? ( eg when you told the security staff the items belonged to the subcontractor was this checked in any way ? ie did they agree you were carrying non Tesco property when they 'released' you ?

Just thinking if they back up 100% that you were carrying property of the subcontractor and that there was no reason for you to be accused of shoplifting, or be held, or ''fined'' .... then you could kick up a stink publicly about Tesco's treatment of you and their over use of RLP, and of RLP's tactics. It can be tricky to get the situation in the public eye because of the 'embarrassed' / 'ashamed' part that goes with being falsely accused of shoplifting over making a mistake or being a div one day ... but doesn't sound like that is something you would be worried about ?? It's been 6 years since Oxford, and any decent publicity around the issues, and although RLP haven't tried suing anyone since then they consistently rely on threatening and intimidating people to make their money. Very often vulnerable people.

There was a little bit of publicity when the misleading practices legislation came into force but only really to people who read that kind of information published by BIS etc.

Tesco's need a kick up the ass because using RLP for people misscanning a couple of items in their self scan system or leaving a eyebrow pencil on top of a pushchair is getting way out of hand now. (Well tbh it has always been way out of hand but Tescos are getting on my nerves now).

Feel free to completely ignore me too btw just putting it out there xxx
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

thank you will ignore them

Comment

Thank you all for your help on this matter. I called the collection people who kept saying make a payment etc then appeal it. I pointed out the Oxford case which was followed by silence.. I also pointed out I have a complaint in covering;

*The property did not belong to them
              * I was denied access and support for my disability
              * Whilst being kept in the room I read some documents on others held which breached the data protection.
              * Was told that he was going to get the police to give me this and that .... all of which were beyond his powers as police are impartial. Police have spoken to him about this
              *Offensive comments about my overseas middle name. The police have given him a warning about this.

On mentioning the terms of my complaint, I was informed that I should contact the store and ask them to instruct them to remove the action. They said they would put any further action on hold till then. I pointed out that its for the client to make an informed decision and not for me to have to contact them and negotiate it.

Thank you all very much for your help as have not heard from them since.

Comment

The company I was working for has kept very silent as they d not want to upset their client. They did say they would let Tescos run its actions and I cold not get hold of them for the rest of the evening. I have emails confirming the items were not tescos

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X