• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax Court summons received days after court hearing!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax Court summons received days after court hearing!

Hi all

I'm wondering if I could get some advice:

I have come home today to a court summons for unpaid council tax. I previously had a payment plan but unfortunately missed my last payment. However the date for the court hearing is listed as September 23rd! Today being the 27th.

I am able and willing to pay the arrears but I'm wondering if further judgements will now still be made towards me despite receiving the summons after the date I was due in court?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax Court summons received days after court hearing!

Originally posted by Needhelp89 View Post
    Hi all

I'm wondering if I could get some advice:

I have come home today to a court summons for unpaid council tax. I previously had a payment plan but unfortunately missed my last payment. However the date for the court hearing is listed as September 23rd! Today being the 27th.

I am able and willing to pay the arrears but I'm wondering if further judgements will now still be made towards me despite receiving the summons after the date I was due in court?

Many thanks
    It will almost certainly have gone ahead (assuming the council went ahead with the application) - the council are only required to send it to the last known address under http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/35/made .

The interpretations act 1978 covers what postage means under http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1978/30/section/7 . Assuming the council can show that it was issued in plenty of time to the last known address then you'd have a hard job showing it was legally issued correctly.

LGFA92

Comment

The problem is, that even if you have missed the hearing, the majority of the fees will have been front loaded in applying for the summons. For example, an £85 charge for obtaining a liability order will typically be broken down as follows:

Cost of obtaining summons £65
      Cost of liability order hearing £20

This means that the costs involved in obtaining the summons will already have been incurred, regardless of whether the hearing went ahead or not.

It is certainly worth contacting the council to find out why the summons was received after the hearing date (unless as LGFA says, there has been a change of address and the summons was sent to the last known address.

Comment

I'd agree - by all means contact the council and ask. There's nothing to stop them from ceasing action if they so wish.

I spent 10 years working for a local authority and I must have stopped thousands of summons and liability order for being wrong - I used to get wrong from my manager for it but as the complaints manager agreed with me, if it's wrong, its wrong and it should be withdrawn as soon as it's known to be wrong.

LGFA92

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X