• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default Judgement Received Against Me - Next Step To Take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Default Judgement Received Against Me - Next Step To Take?

Originally posted by apollo18 View Post
    UPDATE

Good news - I have now heard from the claimants that they are discontinuing with the claim and removing all charges from my account.

Worryingly, I have not heard anything from the court since July and despite the claimant sending the court a consent order to set aside the judgement at the beginning of July, the judgement is still on my file and I have not had any notice about the judgement being set aside or that the hearing has been cancelled.
    There's a substantial backlog in the court system at present check with the court to see what's going on.

nem

Comment

I've sent them several emails over the past 6 weeks or so but not had a single reply. I've called them a couple of times too (it takes about 45/50 mins before they answer). When I got through they told me to email them!!!

I'll try calling them again tomorrow to see if they can tell me anything.

Comment

I've sent them several emails over the past 6 weeks or so but not had a single reply. I've called them a couple of times too (it takes about 45/50 mins before they answer). When I got through they told me to email them!!!

I'll try calling them again tomorrow to see if they can tell me anything.
        Short of Staff I'm afraid it's getting worse every day.

nem

Comment

& this of course doesn't help matters.
          More than 2,000 rulings being made a day without open court process
          The CCJs - county court judgements - are pushed by firms seeking 'debts'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4MEnKxJWJ
          Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I have now heard from the claimants that they are discontinuing with the claim and removing all charges from my account.

Worryingly, I have not heard anything from the court since July and despite the claimant sending the court a consent order to set aside the judgement at the beginning of July, the judgement is still on my file and I have not had any notice about the judgement being set aside or that the hearing has been cancelled.
            This is/was a Freeholder (Landord)/Lessee (Tenant) claim.

I'll take a peek back through your thread (I was username 'Just Di' when it started) to see what impact this delay may have on your ongoing service charge issues.

Have you seen a copy of the Consent Order to set aside the CCJ and wouldn't you have had to sign it too? (maybe you did).

And finally was the CCJ only set aside so that the service charge issues could be dealt with by the First Tier Property Tribunal instead or is this the end of the matter?

Di
            Last edited by Diana M; 5th October 2016, 22:49:PM. Reason: added final paragraph

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
              This is/was a Freeholder (Landord)/Lessee (Tenant) claim.

I'll take a peek back through your thread (I was username 'Just Di' when it started) to see what impact this delay may have on your ongoing service charge issues.

Have you seen a copy of the Consent Order to set aside the CCJ and wouldn't you have had to sign it too? (maybe you did).

And finally was the CCJ only set aside so that the service charge issues could be dealt with by the First Tier Property Tribunal instead or is this the end of the matter?

Di
              Yes, that's right. Originally I received a default judgement against me because the court did not receive the Acknowledgement of Service I sent them.

I then paid the £255 fee to apply for the judgement to be set aside. Shorty after this the claimant agreed to the judgement being set aside by way of a Consent Order, also requesting the hearing be vacated and that I provide a particularised defence. I did get a copy of the Consent Order and I signed it.

After sending them the particularised defence (including my assertion that the claim should be struck out because of an abuse of process due to them previously pursuing same/similar claims which were struck out and stayed - as you advised me to do Di :thumb the claimant discontinued the claim and withdrew all the charges from my account.

Very happy other than not having any update from the court agreeing to the consent order and allowing the claim to be discontinued. Also the CCJ has not been removed from my file.

Comment

UPDATE - Good news - I have now heard from the claimants that they are discontinuing with the claim and removing all charges from my account.

Did you only learn of the Discontinuance yesterday?

From what you say in July a Consent Order to set aside the CCJ was signed. In those circumstances the claim comes back to life as if the Default Judgment had never happened reinstating your legal right to Defend the claim. The set aside does not extinguish the claim.

A Discontinuance does what it says on the tin, the claim no longer proceeds.

The Claimant's solicitors were in control of filing the Consent Order with the court so why not contact them and ask for proof.

Once the Consent Order to set aside the CCJ was filed all trace of it should have been removed from Trust Online and the CRAs. Again I would chase the solicitors on this point.

If the Discontinuance was only filed yesterday it may be too soon for it to be registered at court.

Since you filed your Defence before the Claimant discontinued, they cannot re-issue a claim based on the same or substantially the same facts

Di

Comment

Did you only learn of the Discontinuance yesterday?
                  No, it's been about a month now.

From what you say in July a Consent Order to set aside the CCJ was signed. In those circumstances the claim comes back to life as if the Default Judgment had never happened reinstating your legal right to Defend the claim. The set aside does not extinguish the claim.

A Discontinuance does what it says on the tin, the claim no longer proceeds.

The Claimant's solicitors were in control of filing the Consent Order with the court so why not contact them and ask for proof.

Once the Consent Order to set aside the CCJ was filed all trace of it should have been removed from Trust Online and the CRAs. Again I would chase the solicitors on this point.

If the Discontinuance was only filed yesterday it may be too soon for it to be registered at court.

Since you filed your Defence before the Claimant discontinued, they cannot re-issue a claim based on the same or substantially the same facts

Di
                  I sent a copy of the Consent Order to the Court previously and have also emailed it to them a couple of times in case they had not received it. The last time I spoke to the Court they told me I, as the Defendant, have to personally request that the Court sets aside the judgement and removes it from my credit file. She told me it would not happen automatically just because a Consent Order had been filed. She told me that if I emailed in my request then she would keep an eye out for it and escalate it but I sent in the request that same day (about 2 or 3 weeks ago) but the judgement has still not been removed.

I called Trust Online yesterday and they told me they had had no notification from the Court to remove it and told me to call the Court to request they do so. When I told her which Court it was, she said "Oh no, good luck getting through to them!"

I have tried calling the Court this morning but after an hour of waiting the line cut off automatically.

Comment

Hi, I have read your post and it is very similar to my position. In February 2015 I was taken to the county court by JB Leitch acting for Solitaire/OM Management and now known as First Port. Once arrived at court JB Leitch solicitor approached with a Tomlin Order which I refused to sign, they then gave me a Notice of Discontinue. The amount was over £7,000 and JB Leitch fees were over £6,000. They than took me to court again, this time it was held before a Judge, it was 2 days ago and I was rubbish in talking and a ccj was issued against me. If I provide further details can anyone help me. Thanking you very much.

Comment

Hi 5345jacqueline & welcome to LB.

If you would like your own thread, I'm sure our [MENTION=49370]Kati[/MENTION] can oblige.
                      It gets confusing having 2 cases on the same thread; even if they are similar, your facts will be unique to your particular situation.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X