• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Independent Contractor not getting paid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent Contractor not getting paid

I've read numerous posts about this topic and I have a fairly good idea of what my next steps are; however, I'd like to get some input from others regarding the situation I'm currently in.
    I work as an independent contractor for a a company that has setup the contract agreement with a software company.
    The software company has stated that they are experiencing some cash flow problems and won't have the means to pay me for another 4 months or so. They are currently behind 2 paychecks. I typically receive my payments twice a month.
    I don't feel like doing any more work for them until they catch up and honor the payment cycle.
    I'm currently looking for new work but my question is: should I still do work for them, knowing that I won't get paid for another 4 months? I'm leaning towards 'No', but would welcome feedback from others.
    Tags: None

Re: Independent Contractor not getting paid

Hi there

To my mind, and sensibly, working on a 'promised' four month payment delay is worse than a zero hours contract although in this case, you are expected to work on an ongoing basis. Reading between the lines, this company is probably under severe financial pressure and I cannot see any guarantee that you will even get paid in four months time. I would consider it foolish to continue giving this company your professional services for what is effectively free of charge and 'on a promise'. Four months credit is an incredibly long time.

When I was self employed for a period of four years, I was constantly told that you simply cannot survive on promises. Yes, I would cease working but your immediate action depends on whether you can find replacement work, particularly as you have a months outstanding invoices.

Comment

Re: Independent Contractor not getting paid

I agree with Snoopy. You are risking greater financial pressure if they go bump in month 4 and you have been working for free all that time, particularly if there is no incentive for you to wait that long anyway.

If you left now, what are the chances of you getting paid what they already owe you? They may view your refusal as a snub and put your payment to back of the queue.

So your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X