• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Purchased an apartment with problems - should I have been informed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased an apartment with problems - should I have been informed?

Hello

Last year I bought a top floor apartment - 6th floor in an oldish block.

Day one of getting keys - there was mains water issues. The pressure is very low and there are periods of no water - the issue is ongoing. It doesn't impact everyone in the building - mostly the upper floors.

To cut a long story short there has been ongoing issues for many years in the block with an antiquated water system coupled with people in lower floors putting things like combis boilers in that take the pressure away. This has been discussed many times with management of the block (before I purchased) and the water utility company recommended a potable water storage system and pumps but the cost was very expensive and there was a decision not to go ahead. I understand that the situation improved slightly but got worse again a few years back.

New people are buying in the block and not being told. I also understand that the management don't want the water issue widely spread due to potential impact on property values.

I believe that when I bought the place and the solicitor engaged with the management company this long standing water issue with the block should have been disclosed. I would have thought twice about buying the place or get assurances the problem would be sorted or negotiated purchase price. Can anybody advise if there was a legal obligation to have done so?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Purchased an apartment with problems - should I have been informed?

I don't know what you can do now, after the purchase has gone through. That said, maybe the experts on here might think of some kind of redress due to you. Hopefully, they'll pop up soon.

Comment

When you say 'management', do you mean that the building is factored?

Comment

On looking at the property information form, there is no specific reference to water supply services being in good working order and without problem. The only place where this is opportunity to declare this in questions 2.1 and 2.2 although that could be debated. The fact remains that a major adaption is necessary to the water supply services and under the terms of the lease everyone in the block would contribute, so a major expense should have been mentioned. I cannot see how this will be solved except with major adaption and it is a major issue, if not a health one. If you believe that the vendor was fully aware, and why wouldn't they have been, then they should hold some responsibility. It could well be an omission that, had you known the information , you would otherwise decided not to proceed. You will need to prove that point.

Comment

In addition, I would have thought that the managing agents would also have had to supply this information in their information pack that you no doubt paid dearly for.

Comment

I am assuming that you did not have a House buyers Report instructed on the flat? That may have revealed something as simple as poor water supply pressure.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X