• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting in tesco - Advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting in tesco - Advice please

I was stopped in Tesco by the security guard as I has taken a pen from its wrapper and placed it in my basket

The police was called and I was interviewed but not arrested as I had not left the store. The security guard stopped me when I was on the aisle

The police officer then unreleased me from arrest and he left the store.

The Tesco manager told me they have video evidence of me taking s number of items from a previous visit and will use civil recovery to recover these and admin costs.

I did not sign a form at the store - I was told verbally this process will happen and I will have 14 days to make the payment.

Please let me know if this demand will happen as all postings suggest an admission of shoplifting has been made
    Tags: None

Re: Caught shoplifting in tesco - Advice please

What did Tesco say this payment was for? They cannot fine you, they would have to take you to court to do that. You may be getting nasty letters from RLP but you can safely ignore them and file them away.

Comment

I haven't received anything from Tesco yet. The store manager said that they have cctv footage from earlier weeks where they said I was seen removing security tabs.

I have not signed a document so can the video footage be used ?

Do you have to be arrested for the historic evidence to be used in court or for RLP ?

Comment

RLP are all bluster and big red letters and threats but the last time they went to court they lost big time. I'm not aware of them trying again.

The CCTV could be used but I doubt it. They will look silly as they did not take action at the time of the alleged offences.

Only the police can really take this forward, and it looks as though they don;'t wish to.

Comment

Do you have to sign a form for RLP to start sending forms?

didn't sign one when the police were called so can I assume no letter will be sent ?

The reason I ask is I wrote me name and address on a prince of paper at the store
          - can these details be used by RLP for alleged historic offences on CCTV ?

Comment

RLP can do nothing about the CCTV. They will try to get you to pay compensation to Tesco for your action but there is no basis to this claim so just ignore.

The only time you do not ignore is a letter before claim or a form from the court. Come back here for further advice IF that happens.

Comment

Thanks Ostell for your replies!

The basis for the claims could be to use CCTV ?

Can they start proceeding given I didn't sign any forms ?
              Last edited by Tallguy; 13th July 2015, 08:32:AM. Reason: Fix info

Comment

What are they going to start proceedings for? The police are no longer interested. Tesco cannot fine you. What they mean by civil recovery is that they will ask the likes of RLP to write nasty letters to you in the hope that you will cave in to their threats and pay.

Here's a quick summary of the Oxford case

Comment

Thanks again
                  You have put my mind at rest

The historic CCTV can only be used if I was arrested - as I wasn't then I can forget about it.

If Tesco decide to pass my address to RLP they cannot claim any costs as I was not arrested and have not been charged for the historic actions in the CCTV.

On the safe side, I'll stay away from that particular Tesco store

Comment

You have not said the CCTV evidence they have was wrong - Was it?

Comment

I never saw the historic CCTV - the Tesco manager said it looked like me.

When asked by the police I said I could not recall looking at particular items.

The police were more concerned with the current incident; I said the security guard stopped me in the store aisle and I intended to pay for the item as the security tags were in my basket.

The police said technically I had not left the store so no offence had been made.

My concern is Tesco using the historic CCTV evidence and involving RLP

Comment

i had the situation tallguy . do you think police will come after me

Comment

Nothing happened - I have visited the store a year later and I have not experienced any issues - the security guard has left which is a bonus for me

Comment

I was caught shop lifting at Tesco today. I have never been in trouble before and am really worried about what to do now. I know I shouldn't have taken anything but I didn't think they would check me. I'm not sure if I should go to court or just pay the fine? Please help!
                            Thanks

Hi,
                            I was caught shoplifting at Tesco today.
                            I have never been in trouble bfore and am really worried about waht to do now.
                            I know I shouldn't have took anything but I didn't thikn they would check me.
                            I'm not sure if I shoud go to court or just paly the fine?
                            Please help!
                            Thanks
                            Samantha

Hello,
                            I was caught stealing at Tesco today. My mum told me she had seen me doing it and I don't want her to get in any trouble. What should I do?

Comment

Do nothing.
                              Chances are thatt you may receive a series of letters demanding payment of a civil recovery fee (or simlar). Ignore them.

Your mum will not get into any more trouble from any of this.

. . but do not do it again.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X