• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employers secretly recording conversations without consent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employers secretly recording conversations without consent

My employers are planning on putting a hidden camera and recording device in my departments warehouse due to recent thefts of stock. I only found out that they were planning on this through a friend on the security team, however they are not planning on telling everyone who uses the warehouse. Are they breaking the law by not obtaining our permission to record us under the data protection act?

Re: Employers secretly recording conversations without consent

You can tell the others?

Comment

It seems rather strange that your employers are using covert cameras. In this day and age I’m surprised that your warehouse isn’t covered in cameras already. They have a right to protect their business. They won’t need your permission. On the bright side if CCTV helps catch the culprits then that will take away suspicion from the innocent employees.
      If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

Separate, specific guidance on the use of CCTV in the workplace is also provided in the ICO's Employment practices Code and more information on the specific considerations for employers using CCTV can be found in our article on Use of CCTV in the Workplace.

Also http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...905#post461905
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by cards down View Post
          It seems rather strange that your employers are using covert cameras. In this day and age I’m surprised that your warehouse isn’t covered in cameras already. They have a right to protect their business. They won’t need your permission. On the bright side if CCTV helps catch the culprits then that will take away suspicion from the innocent employees.
          No it doesn't have cameras already I was just more concerned about private conversations between work friends being spread by other employees listening to recordings

Comment

Your standard CCTV cameras do not come with audio facilities although it is something of a growth especially with IP cameras. Microphones can quite easily be installed with the CCTV system but are you sure this is what your employers are considering doing? A companies CCTV system would normally only be monitored by chosen staff and it would be doubtful if any member of staff would be given the time to trawl through hours of CCTV footage just to listen to employees conversations. I would expect if your employers were to go to the expense of installing CCTV then it would be done as a deterrent to theft/losses rather than listening to employees conversations.

Also you say you only found out through a friend of the security team. His/her job is to prevent loss and if by letting one member of staff know that cameras may be installed deters a theft then they are doing their job.
            If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

Originally posted by cards down View Post
              Your standard CCTV cameras do not come with audio facilities although it is something of a growth especially with IP cameras. Microphones can quite easily be installed with the CCTV system but are you sure this is what your employers are considering doing? A companies CCTV system would normally only be monitored by chosen staff and it would be doubtful if any member of staff would be given the time to trawl through hours of CCTV footage just to listen to employees conversations. I would expect if your employers were to go to the expense of installing CCTV then it would be done as a deterrent to theft/losses rather than listening to employees conversations.

Also you say you only found out through a friend of the security team. His/her job is to prevent loss and if by letting one member of staff know that cameras may be installed deters a theft then they are doing their job.
              Yeah they are using a camera that looks like an electric box with a warning high voltage on it and in the 'I' there's a camera and microphone

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X