• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial UK limited v Legallytrained

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cabot Financial UK limited v Legallytrained

" Your credit agreement is currently unenforceable"
    I currently have the same letter. What do I put in my defense if this letter is sent to me?

Comment

Received allocation questionnaire today So despite not having documentary evidence, they are willing to proceed.
      Can somebody advise me whether to agree to mediation or not?
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Legallytrained View Post
        Received allocation questionnaire today So despite not having documentary evidence, they are willing to proceed.
        Thanks
        Hi,

It is expected now that both parties will be willing to attempt resolution without
        a hearing so yes tick mediation, in the situation where no CCA etc. has been
        forthcoming by the time a mediation appointment has been made, the mediator
        will decline to proceed and return the claim to the court.
        The AQ is just the next process, (allocation of the claim to a track) it does not necessarily
        mean that it will progress further.

nem

Comment

Thanks
          As above said, tick yes to saying you will accept mediation.

However once you get the email/letter regarding your deadline to speak with mediation (which will likely happen without Cabot/Weightmans providing the evidence you requested), contact the mediation service and explain that you currently aren't in a position to mediate on the claim right now as you had expected to have received the documentary evidence from Cabot/Weightmans seeing as Weightmans proceeded with the claim - be sure to explain to the mediation service that due to Cabot/Weightmans not providing the documentary evidence that they cannot get a judgement and the agreement is currently unenforceable, also be sure to say that if the documentary evidence arrives before the mediation ending deadline you will call back.

The mediation service should understand this (i mean, they can't really expect you to mediate on something you have no documentation on), and as they contact not just you but also Weightmans - they will tell Weightmans this (that you can't mediate due to lack of documents).

Doing this covers you, you show that you are willing to mediate (hence ticking yes to it), but it actually allows you to show Cabot/Weightmans are the ones preventing the mediation as they aren't providing you with what you need to mediate.
          -
          I did exactly this with my Cabot/Weightmans claim a few weeks back, Cabot did to me exactly as they did to you (i made the requests for CCA forms, they asked for 40 days, they then said we can't find the documents and the agreement is unenforceable and then they got Weigthmans to proceed anyway) - i did as i said above with the mediation service - and within a week or so i got a letter for Weightmans saying they had filed for a notice of discontinuance.

See my thread here: http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...l-One-4-2-2015
          Last edited by ZiggyMoff; 11th June 2015, 14:28:PM.

Comment

They will bluff as much as they can hoping you'll fold,costs them nothing. As mentioned previously I had a letter as well saying a debt was not enforceable as they still took some convincing

Comment

So, I have been contacted by the small claims mediation service - they left a message on my landline answering service on 2nd July asking me to ring them. (No attempt to ring me on my mobile) I've been trying to get hold of them ever since! I've either got a constantly ringing phone, with a recorded message saying that all handlers are busy and that my call will be answered shortly or I get the recording stating their office hours (which means that they have got a high volume of calls) I can't stay on the line all day waiting for them to get to me - I have small children to look after! Anybody know that best day and time to ring them??

Comment

So, I have been contacted by the small claims mediation service - they left a message on my landline answering service on 2nd July asking me to ring them. (No attempt to ring me on my mobile) I've been trying to get hold of them ever since! I've either got a constantly ringing phone, with a recorded message saying that all handlers are busy and that my call will be answered shortly or I get the recording stating their office hours (which means that they have got a high volume of calls) I can't stay on the line all day waiting for them to get to me - I have small children to look after! Anybody know that best day and time to ring them??
                Mid afternoon or shortly before they close has been good in the past.

nem

Comment

Thanks Nem, but I did manage to speak to them this morning at 9.40am after being on hold for 25mins (luckily my son was more interested in Cbeebies than me this morning!). They are going to mark that it is not suitable for mediation as I have not received any documents and transfer it to my local court.

Comment

Thanks Nem, but I did manage to speak to them this morning at 9.40am after being on hold for 25mins (luckily my son was more interested in Cbeebies than me this morning!). They are going to mark that it is not suitable for mediation as I have not received any documents and transfer it to my local court.
                    Ok that's fine, the records now show you were willing to accept mediation but the claimant had not disclosed the documents to enable you to partake in the mediation process.

This will be referred to your local court now.

nem

Comment

To go with the above.

The mediation service should also update the claimants of this to, Weightmans/Cabot should get a letter soon from the mediation service (or the court) saying that it isn't suitable for mediation due to the documents not being sent to you.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if in a week or so that you get a notice of discontinuance letter from Weightmans, this is exactly how it happened with me - they took it to mediation and i said i was willing but couldn't due to lack of documents, then a little later i got the case dropped.

Comment

Ok, just a quick update. I followed the advice given and told mediation that I was not in a position to proceed due to lack of documents.

The case has been transferred to my local court and listed for a 30 minute directions hearing next Monday "so that the Claimant's can clarify or provide additional information of the issue raised in the defence".

I am assuming that as I have no legal representation I will need to attend - is this right?

Comment

Ok, just a quick update. I followed the advice given and told mediation that I was not in a position to proceed due to lack of documents.

The case has been transferred to my local court and listed for a 30 minute directions hearing next Monday "so that the Claimant's can clarify or provide additional information of the issue raised in the defence".

I am assuming that as I have no legal representation I will need to attend - is this right?
                          Yes it is best not to leave the claimant to put there opinion unchallenged.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X